Can't Make Sharp Turns

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonMud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I currently own a 4dr '97 Tahoe 4x4 with about 97,xxx miles. I drove the Tahoe around my apartment's parking lot just fine, then jumped on the freeway for a 30 min drive to a friends house. When I got there I tried to parallel park and was unable to. From what little testing/troubleshooting I can do with my limited knowledge I found out this.

I can turn fine as long as the turns are not sharp. If I go about 5 mph while going in a straight line and remove my foot from the gas pedal then start to make a sharp turn the farther I turn the wheel the slower I go. By the time the wheel is turned all the way I come to a complete stop and when I go to accelerate it feels like I also have my foot on the brake pedal.

I have no clue what could be causing this and would appreciate any suggestions/comments.

Sorry for the long post and thank you for your help.

Last edited:

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When is the last time you changed your brakes? it almost sounds like you have a brake line hanging up and causing the brakes to come on when you turn... - and you can actually flip the caliper over and twist the line... i almost did that once - i noticed it and un-flipped it - now, on my moms old PT cruiser she took it to a shop, and they had flipped hers and bolted em back on.. (when u flip em, i dont mean u bolt em on backwards, i mean you have the line in a twist) - needless to say.. that messed alot of things up.. and the shop had to pay for it all

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
another thing might be gear binding on your 4x4, make any sharp turns in 4x4 on dry pavement??? even in rain it can cause issues.

that will hold you up quite nicely.

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, make sure you are NOT in 4-wheel-drive. The front differential in those does not like to turn with the wheel cut all the way. Also, may sound like a dumb question, but are your tires stock size? If you have large tires on there, they could rub on the wheel wells when you turn them, causing your truck to feel like the brakes are being applied... but that would also make a terrible noise so I'm assuming that is not the case.

YukonMud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure I checked to see if I was in 4-wheel drive when I first noticed it but I will take it for a spin later today just to insure that it is not in 4-wheel drive & the problem still exists.

I am also running stock wheels/tires.

Thanks for all of your help!

Mark 97 Tahoe

Reaction score
Is your powering steering hoses leaking? Is your p.s. fluid full? I read somewhere that could cause slow turning binding issues.