Catalytic Converters!?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lindgren

Reaction score
Hi,
My vehicle is a 2002 Yukon SLT. I recently brought my car in for Tranny probs. They took care of that but now say i need a new catalytic converter.

They quoted me at $1000-1200. I have looked around and see the cats cost 100-500. Is it really $600 of labor?

Can anybody recommend alternatives? I have heard I can cut a whole in it somehow, or even completely take it out and put a straight pipe in...

Any advise would be awesome!
Thanks

Dynamo

Reaction score
Be advised that removing or altering your catalytic converter(s) is illegal (federal law) and depending on where you live you could be fined or worse if caught. The common thing to do though is just to hollow them out but keep them in place so it will pass a visual inspection.

I haven't priced catalytic converters lately but I would think a reputable muffler shop could install new ones for much cheaper than $1000 (I'm thinking half of that). Who quoted you that price, the dealer?

Nappers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put a cat on my kids '92 Lumina for 150 bucks, new one at that. V-6.....

Start calling some shops.

My '00 has dual cats and may change them this summer, 135,000+ on the clock.

sasquatch

Reaction score
the cats on my 05 yukon went bad this fall at 24,000 miles and luckily it was covered by the warranty so i don`t know what it cost to replace.

i`m not sure if yours has the same setup but mine has two cats, one on either side of the y pipe and it looked like a tough job to cut them out and replace them. the dealer just replaced the whole y pipe.

i`d go to a good muffler shop and get their opinion. unless you`re planning on doing it yourself. good luck.

and, did they give you a reason why they need to be replaced? it sounds like someone is trying to make a quick buck by ripping you off. i`ve never been able to diagnose catalytic convertor problems when repairing a transmission.

177mph

Reaction score
Id find out whats wrong with em. Did the stuff inside break up and cause a clog?

Dahlar

Reaction score
Happened to me too. I had two new high flows put in for around $400 at an independent muffler shop. Dealer even advised a muffler shop over the 1k+ factory replacement cats.

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
Hi,
My vehicle is a 2002 Yukon SLT. I recently brought my car in for Tranny probs. They took care of that but now say i need a new catalytic converter.

They quoted me at $1000-1200. I have looked around and see the cats cost 100-500. Is it really $600 of labor?

Can anybody recommend alternatives? I have heard I can cut a whole in it somehow, or even completely take it out and put a straight pipe in...

Any advise would be awesome!
Thanks

Lindgren, unless you have a catylitic convertor code or codes, I would not worry about your cats. IMHO, if your cats go out, you have other problems you need to resolve first or the new cats can be damaged again.

The price quote you got is total B.S. Around here, the Chicagoland area, cat installs can be had for a little over 100 dollars. Going with "Hi Flow Cats" is a waste of money.

Please do not get taken.