catts???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yuhoe96

Reaction score
catts???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey guys iam wanting to take the cats off of my tahoe when i get my new exhaust installed will it hurt anything to remove them? what is the deal with these o2 censors?

thanks guys

AZSCTACO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably run to rich.....which is no good
Environmentalist's will throw things at you....
Won't pass inspection....
You'll probably loose HP and torque.....

No reason to do it so imo...leave them alone or buy some more free flowing ones.

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably run to rich.....which is no good
Environmentalist's will throw things at you....
Won't pass inspection....
You'll probably loose HP and torque.....

No reason to do it
so imo...leave them alone or buy some more free flowing ones.

x2

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My experience is that if you remove the cats and replace with straight pipes, the exhaust will not sound good (rasp) and you would need to install different O2 sensors (simulators) due to CEL. Horsepower should increase but it will probably not be noticeable.

It's better to replace the OEM cats with resonated straight pipes (still need aftermarket O2) or high flow cats to reduce/eliminate rasp. To make any noticeable gains, the intake and exhaust should be replaced with compatible higher flow units and the ECU programmed.

I guess it depends on what you are trying to accommplish (sound or performance). If you modify, let us know how it went and post a review.

Good luck!

z71offroader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the stock cats are pretty high flow, replacing them would mostly be for sound. if your looking for performance look at getting some headers, i plan on getting some dynatech long tubes in my near future.