"Check 4WD system" message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07 LT

Reaction score
I was driving in some snow and slush with my 4wd set on 4H and got the check 4wd message on the DIC. It automatically went back to 2wd and locked me out of 4wd. On my way home there was no message and it worked fine. Read the manual and it said turn the truck off and if the message still appears take to the dealer. I thought maybe it had sensed that I didnt need 4wd and went back to 2wd but the locking me out of 4wd part?? Any thoughts?

Thanks
Mark

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our trucks run on vista. I swear. Stupid messeges, restart, they go away. Then back to normal. All there is to it. :brsh1:

07GMCYUKON

Reaction score
I've had that problem, shutting it off didn't always fix it. It has been to the dealership twice to be re-programmed.

WilTahoe

Reaction score
I had a similar problem w/ my 07 LS. I notice that the knob was getting hot when I had it on Auto or 4H. Later,it display the check 4wd messege. I had my wife take it to the dealer (Im deployed at the moment) and they just clear the CID error. About 3 months later, it display the 4wd messege again, this time my wife took it to the dealer and they kept the truck and replace something(wifey could tell me exactly but I will have her send me the invoice) on the truck. When I get the copy of the receipt I will post what exactly was replace/fix on my Tahoe. By the way, the repair was just done about 3 weeks ago, since them, she havent had the problem.

07 LT

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.. I'll probably have it looked at soon. I also hate the fact that there is no light on the instrument panel that lets you know if you are in auto, 4H, 4L etc. The steering wheel blocks my view of the light on the knob.

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
.....hate the fact that there is no light on the instrument panel that lets you know if you are in auto, 4H, 4L etc. The steering wheel blocks my view of the light on the knob.

Major pet peeve of mine. I drove 15 miles this morning at 70 mph in 4WD because I didn't see the stupid little light on the knob. Just a happened to look down and saw it.

Don't you wish you could grab the design engineer and say "What the hell were you thinking!!??"

Vrrooom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This happened to me too, apparently it's a solenoid or something that gets stuck. If you be really quiet, turn the car to the on position and move from 2wd to 4wd, you'll hear it make a noise and won't go in. This tends to happen if you try to engage it while the wheels are not moving at the same speed (around a turn or while the rears are spinning a little).

S.V.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^impressive busa time vrrooom, i'm assuming that's in the 1/4 mi.?

... not to change the subject :D