Chevy vs GMC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, that's it. Thanks.

Not sure the 07 is going to work the same though. Will have to try it out.

jimjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I almost completely disagree with the thread starter (JimJoe's) comments!

I drive a Duramax with nearly 500 horsepower and well of 800 lb/ft and also have an '07 Z06, so I might be a little biased too when it comes to the power, but to say that the power is not significant is far from the truth. Well, I guess if you consider only 2 seconds better to 60 not significant.

I do agree with the 15% better gas mileage in the 5.3, this is exactly what I have experienced.

Ok to disagree with me. :) Seems like our rigs do not behave the same. The 6.2 is good but the 5.3 lacks the power needed for this full size SUV. Also I am a bit biased as I have my Ford with about the same numbers as this Duramax. :eek:

As long as it is just city driving, no hills and no towing the 5.3 is fine. And that's what I do. So I am pleased. Btw. I bought the trailer hitch cover for the 'burb. Looks much better now. All in all I prefer the 'burb over the Denali as for the quietness and smoothness of the ride as well as the better fuel economy. The Denali is more fun to drive, though.

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say that I would agree with gmcul8r, the 5.3 is great on the freeway and for short jaunts around town, but I drove one around my house up in the Tahoe area which is nothing but up and down hills and actually got pissed off at it because for every hill it would slow down unless I nearly floored it. That is compared to the 5.7 in my 97 Hoe' where although I have to slightly press down to get a little more oomph I dont have to do it nearly as much as the 5.3, and I have a 97, you think they would have figured it out in the new ones. When I test drove the Denali I was very impressed by the 6.2, it was very strong up and down the hills in the area (bay area, not tahoe) and I didn't need to seriously get on the throttle to pass people on the freeway, unlike the 5.3. I think this would all get solved if GM just stuck a diesel in the Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon/XL. Much more torque and hp available! I will probably end up getting the 5.3 (when I find the money) because the Denali is a little to exspensive, but I will definately be adding some performance mods to make up the difference. Also thanks for the review its great to get a real world comparison!! :Chevy:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 5.3 is absolutly the best, twice as much power as my 99 (ok not really but it feels like it) i think the trouble you guys are running in to is the 8 ta 4 cylinder thing, its worth having all 8 all the time for the extra power all the time.

jimjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crazydefense,

I never went to the Tahoe region so far as I did some suburban driving with the Denali. Nice said, isn't it? :)

In the Bay Area I never needed that much power. Maybe while driving 280 and overtaking a 5.3 :eek: :D. Btw. where are you located?

Jim

jimjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the trouble you guys are running in to is the 8 ta 4 cylinder thing, its worth having all 8 all the time for the extra power all the time.

The 8 to 4 to 8 switch is so quick I never noticed it unless I check the display. Fact is that there is a difference in torque to the 6.2; roughly 20 %. In my opinion the cylinder deactivation would make even more sense in the 6.2 as it obviously could stay in 4 cylinder mode longer than the 5.3.

Jim

Last edited:

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I almost completely disagree with the thread starter (JimJoe's) comments!
I've had an '07 Tahoe, an '07 Yukon XL, and currently have a '07 Yukon XL Denali.

To me the fit and finish is great, but obviously there is always room for improvement.

:iagree:

White Out

Reaction score
The new trucks are MUCH better than those that they replaced. But for those of you that think the interior is any better than "good" need to get out more. I test drove alot of trucks before coming to the conclusion that the purchase of an '07 tahoe would be the best bet since it felt the same as an escalade inside for $15k less. Essentially the Tahoe/Yukon/Denali/Escalade lines are exactly the same with very minor differences ("wood" steering wheel in Denali/Escalade, different color "wood", Escalade has leather on arm rests, Escalade's cluster).

Other vehicles that I test drove included the BMW X5, MB ML500, Porsche Cayenne S, Volvo XC90, Infinity QX, Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8, and Land Rover RR; the GM fullsize interiors are horrible compared to these vehicles.

The fake wood, cheap leather (all GM, GTO exempt), quickly thrown together options to compete (compare other's back up cameras), extensive use of rubber interior trim, the Escalade's radio (searching for stations before it can be used), no panoramic sun/moon roof available, and the lack of many options are all points that GM needs to make for the fit and finish of the interiors to be good. While they are at it, the Denali and Escalade's interiors should look distinctively different than the other trucks and at a minimum use a higher grade leather.

I will give the full size trucks some praise though. The TrailBlazerSS's interior was the worst that I have seen outside of an Aveo. My '00 Trans Am WS6 with vinyl rear seats 1/4 leather front seats had a more presentable interior.

Nick

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay whiteout, you just lost all credibility with me. If you think the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8's interior is better then a Denali then you are definitely smoking something! Talk about cheap!

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think crysler products have the worst interiors of the car industry (aside from the cheap crud), but they spend the least amount of time and money on their interiors, there a joke:smilielol: :rofl:

CobraKai

Reaction score
No kidding. The Jeep's interior is a joke next to my 3LT's. Even the QX and the Cayenne's interiors don't *look* as good (though they probably use more expensive materials). Plus, with the Cayenne, you feel so cramped you can't even enjoy the nice materials inside.

When Edmunds.com - who is hardly a GM shill - raves and raves about the redesigned Tahoe interior, you know that GM finally got it right. And they did.

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think whiteout even owns a new GMT900, so take his comments for what it's worth.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think whiteout even owns a new GMT900, so take his comments for what it's worth.

i dont eather and i know that gm has better interiors than chrysler

i also dont think NUANCE leather is really what you would call "cheap" now the vinyl leather that dodge used in the charger i test drove is very cheap.

White Out

Reaction score
The SRT8's interior is nicer. No fake wood, higher quality leather, alacantra inserts, tiptronic shifter, alluminum pedal covers, better storage, and all the same ammenities. Not to mention the seating position was the best of any suv that I have been in.

This is also the only interior that Jeep has made that I like. I ****ing hate my girlfriends Liberty in every aspect.

Nick

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The SRT8's interior is nicer. No fake wood, higher quality leather, alacantra inserts, tiptronic shifter, alluminum pedal covers, better storage, and all the same ammenities. Not to mention the seating position was the best of any suv that I have been in.

This is also the only interior that Jeep has made that I like. I ****ing hate my girlfriends Liberty in every aspect.

Nick

well fake wood is suposed to add an elegance that the SRT8's will never see, also the leather is NOT as good, its vinyl with leather accents, GM's line is ALL NUANCE when talking top of the line like your comparing, with the srt8. I think your looking at fit and finish the wrong way, whats a real test is at 75,000 miles with no rattles and cheap plastic stuff breaking, thats another thing dodge uses all cheap plastic junk and gm uses quality materials in there interiors.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
i think crysler products have the worst interiors of the car industry (aside from the cheap crud), but they spend the least amount of time and money on their interiors, there a joke:smilielol: :rofl:

I so agree, I was just at the Orange county car show and looking at the Jeep products, they just screamed CHEAP!, let's see 30K for a Rubicon, or 30K for an H3, my vote H3.
The Jeep commander the Tahoe competition, well just don't plan on carrying much. I at one time was a hard core jeep fan, but after seeing Chrysler cheapening the brand, like why would you have a 2WD Wrangler? The Jeep brand has been ruined in my opinion. The Hummer brand would be my choice in off roding.

Last edited:

White Out

Reaction score
i dont eather and i know that gm has better interiors than chrysler

i also dont think NUANCE leather is really what you would call "cheap" now the vinyl leather that dodge used in the charger i test drove is very cheap.

I am not defending chrysler at all. Simply comparing the GCSRT8 (not lower model GC's) along with other trucks to the Tahoe. Go jump in another truck mentioned above and run your hand on the leather, headliner, a-pillar, notice the quality of gaps, and materials used. GM dosn't stand a chance (think beyond jeep that is priced $10k less than LTZ), but it is much better than the trucks they replaced.

The only leather that I have found worse than the NUANCE is the "leather" that GM used on my '00 WS6, the inserts on the front seats were leather and the rest was vinyl ( :lol: ). The leather in my '97 Volvo 850 T5 (sold last month) is nicer than the '07 tahoe's.

I don't own the Tahoe. My father bought it, but he isn't internet savy and dosn't use a car for anything but a tool. Unless he borrows one of my cars. I own a '87 Buick Grand National, '03 Subaru WRX wagon, '04 Subaru WRX STi w/550awhp.

Nick

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why don't we look at the vehicles directly in the Tahoe/Yukons segment, like the Toyota Sequoia, Nissan Armada, Ford Expedition & Jeep Commander. For those of us that ACTUALLY OWN a new Tahoe or Yukon, would you rather have any one of those vehicles over your GM? I think not!

White Out

Reaction score
Well considering that the range of this GM truck can almost tip $70k. Yes, there are alot of other trucks out there that are above what GM has to offer.

Go jump in an X5 and compare it. :thumbsup:

Nick