Chip Installed, Where is This?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RrCoX22

Reaction score
When someone says they have a chip installed where is this chip placed? Is it basically an amp that is pluged into the PCM/ECU ??? Are any of these even beneficial? I'm currently looking at one and it says it has a Hypertech Power Programer lll and I've always been skeptical of things like these that screw with the brain, as I would personally prefer a tuner to do a dyno tune, etc. to change timing and all other parameters. Any insight?

fyremanpat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With Hypertech its a plug and play. You dont have to install a "chip".

fyremanpat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hypertechs are plugged into the OBD II port and it changes the fuel curve, advances timing, adjusts speedo to tire size, changes shift pionts, and stiffens shifts. It takes less than 5 minutes to upload to your vehicle...and the same to return it to stock.

RrCoX22

Reaction score
Hypertechs are plugged into the OBD II port and it changes the fuel curve, advances timing, adjusts speedo to tire size, changes shift pionts, and stiffens shifts. It takes less than 5 minutes to upload to your vehicle...and the same to return it to stock.

ya i understand that... I have an OBD II scanner and know how the concept works but these changes in tuning aren't locked correct? as in only the hypertech plug can return the settings to stock?

fyremanpat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for the most part yes. dealers also have that ability and you should always flash the ecm back to stock before you take it in. over time performance will start to slack and just reflashing will do the trick.