Chrome Mirror bottom

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

e-dub75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About a month ago I ordered the plastic chrome lower mirror caps off of ebay for $27 (repost b/c of a buyer changing their minds). So after two weeks I finally got them and put them on after work. Now as many of you know there is tape in the insides that is suppose to be very strong :smilielol:

Well I put them on and three days later we got a big storm in VA. Well I drove to work and I usually look back at my vehicle but there was a Esky in the parking lot and I was to busy looking at the tails. Anyway, I came back to the truck about three hours later and one of the caps was on the ground and the other one missing. I retraced my route to work and found a piece of the other one... it got ran over. :mad3:

So why the post? Well I liked how the chrome looked and am thinking about purchasing another set(cheapest pair I can find is $40) but this time I want these to LAST!:umn:

So I need suggestions on what type of sealant or glue will keep these on for good. (and no thats not my hoe)

Attachments

• chromemirror.jpg
    chromemirror.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 10
  • chromepaintmirror.jpg
    chromepaintmirror.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 23

Stargazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought mine off of ebay, too, but I didn't buy them for as cheap as yours. Mine came with the 3m tape as well as a tube of surface prep. I totally cleaned the surface first with citrus de-greaser and then rubbing alcohol. Then I applied the tube of prep. That stuff was super powerful because it ate a hole in the latex gloves I was wearing. I also made sure that when I was installing it, it was warm outside. For where I live, it's too cold now for the tape to set properly.

Anyway, it's been through some torrential rain and still seem to be stuck on solidly.

e-dub75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine didn't come with any prep cleaner but was previously washed. And it wasn't freezing when I put them on but not sunny either. I guess I figured after three days it was on good.

That's why this time (if I purchase again) I want something that will hold them on for good... like concrete.

07SuburbanLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to get the area that your applying the cover to clean and grease free. Wash the area with car soap and water and then rub the area with alcohol and a clean towel. The 3M tape that was supplied with the cover is more then significant to hold for years to come.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. The tape should do the trick IF the surface is prepped correctly. It is that way with many things.

e-dub75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have ordered a new set. I plan on adding something extra to this set though, just to be sure. I know that it was clean before I put them on there but I didn't rub it with alchool. I was on another forum checking out people's trucks and this guy took pics of both sides of his truck and posted it. Someone noticed that only one of the chrome bottoms were on and asked why. He stated that he had problems with them sticking on also. Luckily for him when his flew off he noticed it and was able to salvage it.

Thanks for the advice so far guys but I have to put something extra on them b/c I can't keep buying chrome bottoms. The money could be going to my: "Convert the jump seat to a center console" project. So my question now it what type of adhesive will hold two plastic pieces together? Silicone sealant?

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice so far guys but I have to put something extra on them b/c I can't keep buying chrome bottoms.

I know you're skeptical because you think that the double-sided tape you used initially just didn't hold, but just like other folks are saying here, if the surface is prepped properly, and you're using a commercial-grade 3M tape (and it's warm outside), those puppies won't be going ANYWHERE.

My '01 Z006 came with body side moldings ("door bumpers). They were held on with 3M tape. They were a real pain to get off (yeah, I took them off). Granted, I know you've got something that's chrome that's trying to follow gravity, but the automobile industry uses 3M tape to hold all kinds of things on, and it'll hold your caps on, too.

Not sure where you are, but it just might not be ideal weather-wise to put them on now...

/< / /2 /<

e-dub75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure where you are, but it just might not be ideal weather-wise to put them on now...

Maybe that might be it. I'm in VA and it has been cold here. When I get the new ones I might just put a heat gun to it to help the bonding process.

But I figured the cold had something to do with it (not to mention the hard rain) so that's why I wanted to add a little extra helper to make sure it stayed on.

07SuburbanLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe that might be it. I'm in VA and it has been cold here. When I get the new ones I might just put a heat gun to it to help the bonding process.

But I figured the cold had something to do with it (not to mention the hard rain) so that's why I wanted to add a little extra helper to make sure it stayed on.

The heat gun is the ticket here. get the mirror cover and the chrome trim cover both heated up.

07SuburbanLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The chrome cover for the hatch that I put on a week after I bought the truck was put on after I wiped down the area with alcohol and I'M afraid if I try and remove the chrome covers now that I just may pull the hatch off with it. haha

suburban012.jpg

e-dub75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I bought another set and they came in today. Acording to my computer it was 58 degrees today (I figure the hottest I can ask for at the end of Nov in VA) so I decided to put on the caps.

Did some research and decided to add Gorilla Glue to the caps. I know you guys say that if prepared correctly then I should have no problems but once it happens to you, you just dont want to take that chance. Plus its not a warm 80 outside so I felt that the glue would make up for the temp.

Also something I noticed as I was putting them on... the first pair I had did not have as much tape as these do! Also, while I was peeling the red pieces off to attach the tape was coming up too. So with both of those things happening I do not feel bad about adding glue. Only bad thing is that I went to Lowes and bought a big clamp which is 4 inches wide and cant use it b/c the mirror is about the same size width so the clamp really doesnt clamp. Guess I can get my $7 back.:thumbsup:

Attached pics of my preparation hardware and the results.

Attachments

• cm2.jpg
    cm2.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 5
  • cm1.jpg
    cm1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 9

Stargazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have to do what makes you feel comfortable :). The tape coming off doesn't sound like a good sign so the Gorilla Glue is good insurance.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While this would look like 5hit, you might consider putting some duct tape to hold them on for a few days and then see if they're still stuck.

Didn't know Gorilla glue was good for non-porous surfaces.

07SuburbanLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While this would look like 5hit, you might consider putting some duct tape to hold them on for a few days and then see if they're still stuck.

Didn't know Gorilla glue was good for non-porous surfaces.

I wouldn't use duct tape as its hard to clean off, instead use the blue painters tape, that tape holds real well and comes off super easy.

PatrykKoul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you need to apply adhesion promoter to the black plastic part on the mirrors. Take the tape off those, go to home depot and buy 3M exterior mounting tape. That's what I used

pACE2-938320reg.jpg

e-dub75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's funny but I actually have some of that stuff. I bought it and used it to hold up the bracket as I installed my rear fascia. But the gorilla glue seems to be working so far. Only small issues such as the glue actually expanding outside of the cap which I just peel off. I gave the caps a good pull to see if they are loose and I thought I was going to pull the mirror off.

Still have not washed the truck to go thru the water test BUT we are suppose to be getting rain tonight so we will see.

e-dub75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
East coast has been showered with rain this weekend and I decided to go out and check on the caps. Gave a slight pull on each and seems they are there to stay. I won't be satisfied until I drive to work tomorrow and see if both are still on. Last time it rained and I drove to work I lost one but recovered and the other got ran over.