Coiled cord to rear defogger broke off....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone else have this problem? I know I saw somewhere else here or on another forum. I can't find it now. Yesterday, I opened just the hatch window, and the coiled wire going to one side of the defogger element pulled off the foil on the glass. I looks like it's just soldered, but I don't know how big of an iron you need to resolder it. The service writer says he has seen it before. Looks like a future problem.

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone else have this problem? I know I saw somewhere else here or on another forum. I can't find it now. Yesterday, I opened just the hatch window, and the coiled wire going to one side of the defogger element pulled off the foil on the glass. I looks like it's just soldered, but I don't know how big of an iron you need to resolder it. The service writer says he has seen it before. Looks like a future problem.

It has happened to a few here. Two options:
Bring it to dealer and wait for them to get another glass or maybe they will actually fix something for a change.
Or you can get a repair kit made especially for this problem and do it yourself. Kits should be at any dealer or maybe an Auto Barn or the such.
It's an easy fix.
Remove tab from plug and use the 2 part adhesive,(that will allow current to flow through it).Mix it as directed, apply to glass and wait recommended time before reattatching plug.
I just did a search, Permatex makes a kit for this.........
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HBGKWE?smid=A342F12XA4IW3Q&tag=dealtime-auto-mp-20&linkCode=asn

Last edited:

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made an appointment for Friday. It's still under warranty, but where I am, the dealer isn't just down the street. So it's a pain in the arse to have to go. He used the word "resolder", so maybe they will actually try to fix it.

raiderrick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
take it back to the dealer they say if it breaks off the window they have to replace the whole window they wont solder it back on

bamachevy89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The '07 LT3 has been in there getting fixed the last couple days. They are replacing the whole back glass. This thing is starting to piss me off, it stays in the shop and my wife only has 9k miles on her.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The '07 LT3 has been in there getting fixed the last couple days. They are replacing the whole back glass. This thing is starting to piss me off, it stays in the shop and my wife only has 9k miles on her.

it just amazes me how my 06 as NO issues and people report stuff like this everyday about their GMT 900's.

now this is only a small percentage and there are ALOT of people with no issues what so ever also, but at least gm is alot better than ford, ford would have your truck in for a week because they cant get the bolt off the oil pan to change your oil. :smilielol:

bamachevy89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it just amazes me how my 06 as NO issues and people report stuff like this everyday about their GMT 900's.

now this is only a small percentage and there are ALOT of people with no issues what so ever also, but at least gm is alot better than ford, ford would have your truck in for a week because they cant get the bolt off the oil pan to change your oil. :smilielol:

It just blows my mind that in 3 years and 42k miles my 2004 MAY have been in the shop one night, I don't remember if it ever has spent the night in the shop, and this 2007 has spent close to 2 weeks in there and we've had it a couple months :eek: . I love these things but, c'mon Chevy, this is a $50k truck, not an old beater!

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should have seen the job these nimrods at my dealership did in an attempt to fix the clip that pulled off the grid. First, they used acid flux, the same kind you use for soldering plumbing. Then they left the clip in the connector, so as they were heating the clip up, the heat was being pulled off clip by the connector, so much so that it eventually melted the connector's plastic body. I don't know what they were using for soldering gun or iron, but it doesn't look like it was even able to melt the solder that was on the window in the first place.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would use a conductive epoxy like that that comes in the gridline repair kits.

The glass itself is a huge heat sink also. To solder, you'd need to put something fairly warm over a big area of the glass on the side opposite the place you're soldering to both minimize the heat sinking of the glass and reduce the stress on the glass itself. Probably not something most service depts should attempt.

Okla-by God-homa

Reaction score
Just had this happen about a week ago....talk about pissed. It is soldered and I thought about doing it but then I said to myself....."Self....f**k em'" it's still almost new.....not even 9K yet and this happens. GM, fix it and fix it right and I don't care how much it cost. After all.....it's their money.

Guys, bottom line is don't buy kits, or do it yourself unless you have NO other option....my drive to the dealer is 32 miles and at these gas prices I make them do a full detail everytime I have to go in....and give me a loaner for the day.