Consider the hybrid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ozarkgolfer

Reaction score
I test drove the 5.3 and the 6.2 before deciding on the hybrid powertrain. I like to entertain myself whilst driving and I was very happy with the 23,000 miles I put on a Camry hybrid in 12 months.

I did drive the 6.2 Surburban and loved the grunt and exhaust note. I drove the 5.3 and was underwhelmed. Sorry, you 5.3 owners, but the 6.2 really puts a whipping on your 5.3's. The need for premium and the potential gas mileage had me scratching my head.

Really, on a whim, I test drove the hybrid and was pleasantly surprised with the promise of power and the fuel mileage. Now, after 2000 miles, I have squeezed the pedal and boy, the hybrid really moves out.

I don't know of GM can keep selling these trucks that they are already supposedly taking a loss on at $54k at $35k (that's what I paid for a 'used' 09 with 164 miles and an MSO), but I love mine.

I still hve to figure how to get a Yakima roof rack and box sitting on mine for a summer trip to Florida, but it is something I am seriously thinking about.

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 5.3L 'Burban. The 6.2L is nice but paying for premium and getting worse gas mileage is not. I mainly needed the Burban for the space.

I went with the 5.3L. I'm not towing boats or anything heavy (though I do tow a trailer) so I didnt really want/need the 6.2L.

If the Suburban came in a Hybrid, I would have bought it for sure. I was originally going to get the Tahoe hybrid but the cargo space did not cut it for my needs.

Gruson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$35k for a 2009 hybrid? Is that right?

Wow....I should have waited, as I paid $38k for a 2008 Hybrid about 4 months ago....

ozarkgolfer

Reaction score
I tried to support my local dealer and called him on the way to do this deal - he was supposedly selling one at $44k and I told him thanks, but no thanks. Mine was the fourth of four hybrids sold that morning (12/27) and it is ** o n l y ** 2wd. All the others were 08's and 4wd and went for $37k - $39k with 300 - 2500 miles. All auction units. I don;t drive in mud so I was happy with 2wd. Tax wise we got another $1100 or so of the $2200 available when filing - better than nothing - so it kept getting better!

However...the meaning of the post was to let people know...the hybrid has grunt!

Ed Blown Vert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
However...the meaning of the post was to let people know...the hybrid has grunt!

I agree they have power. What I hate is the torque management on the tranny.

I hate that it bogs down on the shifts.

I upgraded my HPTuners hoping to remove most of the TM.

Gruson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to support my local dealer and called him on the way to do this deal - he was supposedly selling one at $44k and I told him thanks, but no thanks. Mine was the fourth of four hybrids sold that morning (12/27) and it is ** o n l y ** 2wd. All the others were 08's and 4wd and went for $37k - $39k with 300 - 2500 miles. All auction units. I don;t drive in mud so I was happy with 2wd. Tax wise we got another $1100 or so of the $2200 available when filing - better than nothing - so it kept getting better!

To clarify, did you get an 08 or 09 for $35k? It sounds like an 08 from your post above. I just cannot imagine an 09 selling for that price!

Also, why would you not get the full $2200 tax rebate?