Coolant Flush

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrfish

Reaction score
I want to flush the coolant out and replace with Peak Global Lifetime or G-05, but I cannot figure out how much water the block holds. Knowing this is the only way to be sure to get a proper mixture.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just pour 1/2 of a bottle in a bucket, pour the same amount of water as I dumped in a bucket in the bottle, shake it up a little and I have a perfect 50/50 mix. I also have a bottle that I wrote 50/50 on it that always has mixed water to coolant in it so if I ever need some to put in a rig I have it ready!

xav8r

Reaction score
I think I understand what & why you are asking. I ran into the same problem. For the previous two posts, it's not a matter on concentration prior to filling the system. It's what volume of water is already in the block so that the proper amount of coolant can be added to the system in order to achieve the proper concentration at the end of the addition of fluid.

As for me, I just guessed based upon how much the total capacity of the system is, and how much "clean" water I was able to drain out of the radiator. I will say that I was shocked at how little "mixed fluid" I added to the coolant surge tank in order to fill.

IIRC, here's what I can offer as help ...

Cooling system total volume = 16.7 qts (for the 5.3 & 4.8 engines)
I think I only added 3 gal of fluid (~11.4L) which I had diluted to approx 1:1

So I think I'm slightly low in my coolant to water concentration, however haven't noticed a problem yet. If I was to do it again, I would add 2 gal straight coolant and then add another gallon that was 1:1. I think that will get you closer to your desired 1:1 concentration for the whole cooling system.

Good luck.

mrfish

Reaction score
xav8r

Thanks for this info. I knew about the 1 to 1 ratio. Could not figure out the rest. Any tips on filling the radiator through the purge tank? Is there a special procedure?