cruise control issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blkissimple

Reaction score
as of lately i have been issues with my cruise control. when i engage it after a few minutes it disengages on its own, and then at other times i cant engage it at all like as if it is turned off completely... and here is another issue that i think is tied to my cruise control issues. i have a aftermarket alarm w/remote start... now i know that one of the safety features to disengage when the car is remote start is brake pedal being stepped on, which also disengages the cruise control when using it. well since i have been having this issue with the cruise control my remote start wont engage as if the brakes were being pressed. is there anyway to check to see if the brake switch is affecting the operation of both systems? i mean it is the one thing that both systems have in common. any info in this matter sure would help me and my foot (on long a$$ drives) lol!
Thanks

jherkel

Reaction score
Well maybe this will help, maybe not. I just bought a used 07 tahoe and my cruise only worked half the time. I read that the brake switch goes bad after a while. I went to RockAuto.com and purchased the part for abour 11$. Replaced it, which takes 10min, and I havent had an issue since. Not sure about your alarm, alot of times those alarm systems are wired funny to bypass some things. But I would start with replacing your switch. Good luck

blkissimple

Reaction score
Thanks! i will try that!!!!
fyi....since the brake pedal switch might be bad which prevents the cruise crontrol from working properly.... that might be the case with my remote start/alarm, one of the safety features of the alarm/remote start is to disengage the remote start if the brake pedal is pressed, so if the switch is bad then my alarm is thinking i am pressing the pedal just like the cruise control thinks i am pressing the pedal also and keeps either one of them from engaging....makes sense to me now thanks for the tip an website!!!!!!

blkissimple

Reaction score
[QUOTE=jherkel, I read that the brake switch goes bad after a while. I went to RockAuto.com and purchased the part for abour 11$.

does that part go by "brake pedal position sensor"? cause i found that on rockauto for about $24... just wondering if this is the part you was talking about?

jherkel

Reaction score
That sounds about right. As to the price, my tahoe is an 07. If yours is newer that could be why the price is higher. If you open your car door and get your back on the floor board and look up under the dash, follow the brake pedal up to the sensor. It will be a little black rectangular box with a harness attached to it. You can kinda reference that by the picture on thewebsite or google it to get a part number or picture. But yes that sounds like the part. Send them an email first if you want to be sure before you buy.

blkissimple

Reaction score
thanks again man! yeah i have a 08 and i am pretty sure there isnt that much of a difference between your model and mine.....hmmmmm might have to order a 07 switch.....lol save me some money but i will get tech info from website to see if possible. thanks again, Cheers!