CV Axle Bearing and more??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KO Phoenix

Reaction score
I'm a new member with a critical issue on an 06 Tahoe (4x4) that started sometime while I was deployed and my brother was driving my truck in my absence. Over the past week since returning home, my truck has developed a very noticeable loud "grinding/rumble/whining" noise from what sounds like the left front, which I originally thought was a bad wheel bearing and hub assembly. I replaced the left front hub assembly, but the "grinding and rumbling" is still present and after doing some further research (to include asking my brother what all was going on with the truck in my absence), I’m now suspecting the CV axles and bearings were the original culprit all along. However, I also discovered that the 4wd selector (or some other component of the 4wd system) apparently failed at some point in my absence, because the selector appears to be stuck in “Auto 4wdâ€. It will shift into 4H and 4L without issue, but will not engage 2H and so my idiot brother had been driving the truck in “Auto 4wd†four out of the six months I was deployed?? While I have taken the time to watch several YouTube videos on how to replace the CV Axles and bearings, I am really concerned about the potential damage to the front differential with the truck being driven how it was. I'm a single military dad who tries to do as much of my own repairs as possible, but admit I might be out of my league with repairs involving the front differential, given its unchartered territory for me and wanted to see if anyone else has experienced either issues and could give me any sincere advice or recommendations. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

chubbs

Reaction score
What kind of diagnosis have you come up with in regard to the 4WD, grinding sounds, etc?

I'm new here, just came across your thread. I may have similar problems with a truck that I just bought.