Doesn't like the cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dave/angie

Reaction score
My 04 Hoe has a problem that only appears when the weather turns cold. The check engine light comes on with a code that indicates" intake manifold leak". The old girl runs a little rougher during this season, but as soon as warmer weather rolls around, lights out. I replaced the mass air flow sensor because it included the outside air temp sensor and that did nothing but cost me $200.00 bucks. Any ideas ???

blackdiamond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How cold are we talking? And i would start with a friendly can of brake cleaner. Non-chlorinated. Spray a little around edges of intake maifold, then on vac tower on top of manifold. its either a manifold gasket leak or one of your vac hoses is hardened and in extreme cold loses its seal on the metal port flanges. start there. again ck all wiring and connections for chaffed or frayed wires burnt terminals ect.....

dave/angie

Reaction score
I don't routinely drive it, it's my wife's ride, but I think it starts acting up when the outside temp gets down around 40 ish or so. I'll try the suggestion that you have and see what I can find. Thanx...

0352Marine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it have this problem on start up then go away? Cause no matter the temp outside the engine is going to heat up to it's normal temp.

blackdiamond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With proper maintenance being done.... i would assume intake manifold gasket. very common problem. Proper meaning.. quality tune up.. pcv cks ok.. fuel filter, plugs ck coil resistance, also ck regulator on the fuel rail... make sure there is no fuel in that vac line. But use brake cleaner to ck for your intake manifold leak

dave/angie

Reaction score
The problem stays around pretty much all winter, even after the engine warms up. I don't recall what the P code was. I think it said that it could be an intake manifold leak. As far as the vacuum leak test, I'll have to wait until colder weather I guess, that's when it shows up. Thanks for the replies......