Dreaded 96 Tahoe steering problems HELP!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigboytoyz76

Reaction score
1996 Tahoe 4wd 2dr sport .

After having the following parts replaced: Gearbox (re-manufactured) ,upper control arms (new), lower ball joints, tie rods (inner and outer both sides), power steering pump(new) , intermediate steering shaft (new), Idler and pitman arm, monroe gas magnum shocks (front/Rear) and wheel alignment done after new parts installed I currently have these issues with steering........

1.Wheel sits at 1 o'clock position but still drives straight also when I put wheel at centered position it pulls to the left so there is also "slack" in between center and 1 o'clock position which makes driving a pain in the A$$ 2. Groaning or whining sound with wheel vibration when turning left or right kinda like when you drive a vehicle with low powering steering fluid. It is also somewhat stiff when turning.

I replaced all these parts to cure the common Tahoe steering combo of slack/wondering in the steering and tightness when turning. The truck is even more difficult to drive now ,I suspect the gearbox ,alignment and power steering pump but hey what do I know . To my knowledge 96 Tahoe does not have evo /speed sensor on steering column ....please help I'm ready to set fire to this truck that my wife affectionately calls a POS taking up space in the driveway!!!