Dropped Tranny

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jordankreutzer

Reaction score
So the other day I was driving down the road at around 40mph and my buddy thought it would pretty funny to shut my yukon off right in the middle of the road. He reached over and shifted to neutral before doing it but in the process he missed neutral and went into reverse. The car was off while it was in reverse, if that makes a difference. I quickly shifted back into neutral, but im wondering if any major damage was done to the transmission in the process. The car still drives normally, although im afraid that sometime, im just going to lose everything, and be S.O.L. Please help!!

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
If the truck was in drive then suddenly went to reverse and then your engine shut off, I would be worried about some sort of tranny damage.

If the truck was off when shifted into reverse, you have nothing to worry about. Once the engine is off, all fluid flow would have stop and no damage to trans.

Huck

Reaction score
1st, slap the **** out of your "buddy". Any problems caused would be from shifting from neutral to drive while still moving. You should be ok. But if you're worried take it to a shop and get it checked out.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1st, slap the **** out of your "buddy". Any problems caused would be from shifting from neutral to drive while still moving. You should be ok. But if you're worried take it to a shop and get it checked out.

and hand the bill to your buddy. :yesnod: Although I have pulled my fair share of chit in my life to buddys too.

sasquatch

Reaction score
like everyone said, you shouldn`t have any problems.

i had a friend shut off the key on me when i was doing about 50 in my 1974 grand am and it was in drive and that resulted in the engine still turning just long enough to make the car backfire so badly that it blew both mufflers apart at the seams,(they were the old turbo mufflers) this was back in like 1989 so he only had to give me about $80 for new mufflers.

jordankreutzer

Reaction score
Now that i think about it i cant remember if the car was shut off before or after he shifted. If I were to change the trans fluid, would I be able to look for anything that would suggest damage?(metal flakes, shavings, etc.)

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
It is possible that if you drop the pan, you will see shavings on the magnet. Now shavings can be normal. The thing that sucks is you really dont know what you got til you start to have symptoms of a dying tranny.

A transmission fluid flush and filter replacement certainly cant hurt. Just for sh!ts and grins, add Lucas trans stuff.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure the reverse lockout saved you, truck doesn't let the drivetrain shift at that speed. I haven't tried it on my truck but a slut I know tried it in her tahoe and it didn't shift into reverse at any speed over 5mph or so.

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure the reverse lockout saved you, truck doesn't let the drivetrain shift at that speed. I haven't tried it on my truck but a slut I know tried it in her tahoe and it didn't shift into reverse at any speed over 5mph or so.

I never knew about the reverse lockout feature. Thats pretty cool. My sister did that in my mom's altima back when I was in high school going about 20 (slowing down for a light, she tried to put in in neutral for some reason and went too far), and all we heard was "VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVvvvvvvvvvvvv" from the trans, lol.

Luckily it was only for a split second, so no damage that we could tell. Horrid sound though.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never knew about the reverse lockout feature. Thats pretty cool. My sister did that in my mom's altima back when I was in high school going about 20 (slowing down for a light, she tried to put in in neutral for some reason and went too far), and all we heard was "VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVvvvvvvvvvvvv" from the trans, lol.

Luckily it was only for a split second, so no damage that we could tell. Horrid sound though.

sounds terrible. Worse than shifting and not letting the clutch all the way out on a manual tranny.