Dropping feeling in transfer case when releasing brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caddy

Reaction score
So as most of us know the years or late 90's early 2000's (mine 2000 caddy) have a factory defect in the transfer case oil pump. This defect wears a whole in the magnesium housing of the transfer case. Well mine like all defects surley did follow that path. A little back story for those who care if not skip the next paragraph...

Backstory: I bought my escalade for $4,500 @ 96k miles and in mint condition inside and out. Kinda felt like I rip this guy off. We'll come to find about a week later the truck started to make a crunching/grinding noise from the front of the truck. Well I believed it was the classical hub bearing faulting like they do. Did the wiggle test, tore apart the whole hub assembly and found nothing! They were prestine as the day is new. So I lifted the truck slapped my self on a creeper and let my bud put the truck in drive and I'd track the problem down while it was in 2 wheel drive. And surely I found it and pinpointed it straight to the rear of the transfer case housing and acclaimed it to the rear bearing. So after taking the t-case out and lifting the housing I laughed as 3 out of the 6- or eight rear ball bearings fell out of the race and into the t-case guts and gears. So I assuredly found my grinding noise but there was more! The tab on the oil pump had widdled a whole into the rear of the housing case and all the oil had found it's way onto the ground! Lol So I went and bought a oil pump saver plate, new rear housing a couple new rear housing sensors, and rear bearing and the dreadfully expensive autotrac 2 fluid for the t-case and a newly tight chain. Cleaned the whole t-case and parts like a baby and reassembled everything, except for the horrible locking tab on the rear t-case. I assume this tab is for gm to acclaime that life can be harder and they strive to prove it in there parts! My explaination of why I left this large clip out is that I believe the rear most bearing will be supported by the housing itself and no up, down, inwards or outer play would be applied to it since the bearing seat itself was almost a inch built into the rear t-case. So as we digress. I put the t-case back into the caddy and attempted to give myself a blue face lift with autotrac 2 fluid( putting it in via a funnel in the t-case as it is installed and the truck is on the ground) I finnally filled it to spec.

Upon repair of t-case and break in, everything seemed normal of a drive. A few weeks later wifey complained (as they always do) that the truck is "acting funny". (Apply dreadful hand to face rub here) I went to go drive it and see what was the matter. Well upon braking the thing the truck did fine, but as soon as you release the breaks you could feel a small dropping sensation in the seat of your pants after repeating this process like clockwork I found myself thinking it may have been the crossmember for the t-case may have had a worn out bushing or the bolts in the t-case-to-bracket or bracket-to-crossmeber bolts had gone to heaven. Well the bushing bracket seemed to check out with no play. The bolts to the bracket and cross member were snug and even the crossmember to frame bolts were locked in for there life's. Well I could only assume that I can't trust magnesium metal products, so I tapped the t-case-bracket bolts and ran the bolt up and put a locking washer and nut on the top of them. ( I don't play when it comes to things moving around). Well off to another test drive aaannnnddddd the problem persists... After picking myself up off the ground almost in shambles over the whole thing I had to inspect other avenues. So I checked the torsion bars no rust, cracks, or twists in the bar. Shook the drive shaft no play other that that mm slight play in the teeth of the yolk. The rear axle and leafs are snug and no broken U-bolts. The front suspension is in check and steering assembly has been greased with not out of norm end play. Checked the front cv axels and drive shafts and are in line with no wiggling. So I have reverted back to my t-case again! I believe that when I have left out that c clip (refer to back story) that may have done it. Maybe the bearing has moved slightly off seat and causing shaft play under the braking load and forceful forward pushing movement of the drive shaft? /\ The chain was snug when I installed it and the clutch pack had almost no wear in it. I don't think anyone ever put it in 4x4 or auto 4x4. But yeah that's my dug path for my unrewarding expedition. So if you have any Ideas or input I'm an open door!

Thanks guys for your continuing support and advice!

-Caddy

Last edited:

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is about the closest I can find as to your description.. hope it helps

Vehicle Comes to Complete Stop or Accelerating from Complete Stop or Accelerating from Complete Stop (Replace Rear Drive Shaft Nickel-Plated Slip Yoke) - (Jan 5, 2005)

Subject:*Clunk, Bump or Squawk when Vehicle Comes to Complete Stop or Accelerating from Complete Stop (Replace Rear Drive Shaft Nickel-Plated Slip Yoke)

Models:*1999–2000 Cadillac Escalade (Old Style)2002–2004 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT2003–2004 Cadillac Escalade ESV1996–1999 Chevrolet 1500 Series Extended Cab Short Box Pickup (Old Style)1996–1999 Chevrolet 1500 Series Regular Cab Pickup and Utility Models (Old Style)1999–2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Box (New Style)1999–2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Series Regular Cab (New Style)2000–2004 Chevrolet 1500 Series Avalanche, Suburban and Tahoe2001–2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500/3500 Series Regular Cab with Long Bed or Extended Cab (New Style)2001–2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Series Crew Cab, Short Box (New Style)1996–1999 GMC 1500 Series Extended Cab Short Box Pickup (Old Style)1996–1999 GMC 1500 Series Regular Cab Pickup and Utility Models (Old Style)1999–2002 GMC Sierra Extended Cab Short Box (New Style)1999–2004 GMC Sierra 1500 Series Regular Cab (New Style)2000–2004 GMC 1500 Series Yukon, Yukon XL2001–2004 GMC Sierra 2500/3500 Series Regular Cab with Long Bed or Extended Cab (New Style)2001–2004 GMC Sierra 2500 Series Crew Cab, Short Box (New Style)2003–2005 HUMMER H2with Four Wheel Drive (4WD) or All Wheel Drive (AWD) and One-Piece Propeller Shaft ONLY

This bulletin is being revised to add Cadillac Escalade (Old Style) and HUMMER H2 to the Models section. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-04-17-004A (Section 04 — Driveline/Axle).

ConditionSome customers may comment on a clunk, bump or squawk noise when the vehicle comes to a stop or when accelerating from a complete stop.A slip/stick condition between the transfer case output shaft and the driveshaft slip yoke may cause this condition.There are several resources in the electronic Service Information System which can provide the technician with information on diagnosis and repair of clunk conditions, and fix the customer's vehicle right the first time without unnecessary parts replacement. Some of the documents available in SI include:Symptoms - Propeller Shaft (SI Document ID #697266)Knock or Clunk Noise (SI Document ID #697290)Rear Drive Axle Noises (SI Document ID #700580)Launch Shudder/Vibration on Acceleration (Replace Propeller Shaft and Install a New Pinion Flange/Seal), Bulletin #02-04-17-001Information on 2-3 Upshift or 3-2 Downshift Clunk Noise, Bulletin #01-07-30-042Driveline Clunk When Stopping (Reprogram Powertrain Control Module (PCM), Bulletin #03-07-30-028Replace the rear drive shaft slip yoke with a new nickel-plated slip yoke.*

Caddy

Reaction score
Yeah that nickle plated slip yolk has passed through my thoughts before. I'll try that out and see what happens. I'll also make sure the rear and forward u joints are in 45 degree separation from each other. Maybe those two fixes will result in success. I'll keep you guys posted for this to be a useful repost for you tech guys on other accountants questions.:happy160: