E fans?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, tell me everything you can about efans. What do they do and why, what don't they do, are they hard to install, are they pricey, I assume you remove the stock fan?

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy some 05+ electric fans off ebay or go junkyard hunting. Buy a harness from blackbear and enjoy the benefit of +2mpg and 10+hp. I plan on doing the efans along with a set of longtube headers this fall. You will have anywhere from $350-$400 into a set of efans depending on the setup. The 05+ electric truck fans are your best bet unless you want to build some brackets and buy some 14" electrics from jegs or summit. The ls1 electric fans are too small for our trucks IMO, I'd just stick with the oem since they look cleaner and will operate as though they came from the factory with a good wiring harness. JK has a thread where he used some universals, I thinka few others have done the mod on here just don't get suckered into buying a kit from flexalite. I'll be buying mine from here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Part...hash=item130241277703&_trksid=p3756.m14.l1318

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy some 05+ electric fans off ebay or go junkyard hunting. Buy a harness from blackbear and enjoy the benefit of +2mpg and 10+hp. I plan on doing the efans along with a set of longtube headers this fall. You will have anywhere from $350-$400 into a set of efans depending on the setup. The 05+ electric truck fans are your best bet unless you want to build some brackets and buy some 14" electrics from jegs or summit. The ls1 electric fans are too small for our trucks IMO, I'd just stick with the oem since they look cleaner and will operate as though they came from the factory with a good wiring harness. JK has a thread where he used some universals, I thinka few others have done the mod on here just don't get suckered into buying a kit from flexalite. I'll be buying mine from here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Part...hash=item130241277703&_trksid=p3756.m14.l1318

So do the '05 fans fit in a 00 without much modification? So doing the math the harness is a couple hundred bucks? Do you have to do anything extra to make them work with the older vehicles, I mean does the computer know what to tell it or is that what the harness is for? How does it bump the mpg and hp? I assume there isn't room for the e fans and belt driven fan so do you take off the belt driven fan and is that where the gains come from, from the reduced engine drag by not turning a fan?

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blackbear sells the harness for fairly cheap, pm jennabear for more details. The 05+ fans will fot without modification and really clean up the engine bay, not to mention the power increase due to the removal of the parasitic clutch fan.

nephite1978

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did I hear correctly in another thread that they help with cooling at idle, too?

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes and no, these trucks have fairly good cooling with the large radiator and good tstat but I'm sure the electrics are more efficient at any situation.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The guys on another forum tell me I need a hight output alternator as well, anybody here found that?

In the world of mods this sounds like a fairly inexpensive mod with some good results. In my world of I'm trying to make mods to improve my mpg, it sounds like it might not give enough of a return to make it worth it, even at 4+ bucks a gallon it would take quite a few tanks with a 2-3 mpg improvement before it would pay for itself. Thanks for the feedback, it's on my wish list, but prolly not gonna happen for a while.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New alty is a good idea, or an underdrive pulley. Blackbear sells their harness with a pulley for $105shipped iirc.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
how many amps do these fans draw?
I have two 16" Proforms that push about 2100cfm each and draws only about 8A each. You'll need to install a 30-40A fuse though on each fan because of the higher load and current draw when the fans initially start up.

02TAHOELT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pin 42 and sometimes Pin 33

It's for a 2002 Chevy Tahoe LT, so Pin # 42 and Pin # 33
Or will all PCM programmers know which one he has to do?, See i got my PCM programmed from Bryan @ PCMFORLESS, and i need to send him back one of PCM's to Re-tune. He got everything we talked about but forgot one of two interlocks for the 100+ MPH. So i can't go over 100 yet, so he told me "send me eithier PCM".
So was thinking of sending my Stock OEM PCM

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just Pin 42 if it is an 02. I sure hope he knows which one to turn on!!:lol: