Erratic fuel gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

REDYUKON

Reaction score
2001 Yukon. While stopping at the light, fuel gauge drops and low fuel lights come on. Start driving, the guage goes back up. Will this be indication of bad fule level sender or instrument guage itself?

jey_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I combine this symptom with your other one from your other thread, battery or alternator, I would think that a bad alternator could cause both of these problems.

01smellytahoe

Reaction score
Is the fuel gauge the only gauge that changes at stops? do lights dim, power level drops, etc? If not I would say it's the level sensor in the tank. But there is a chance the cluster is bad. There have been know problems with the cluster. I think 04-06 has a special policy on them.

c19dale

Reaction score
my 01 Yukon is doing the sme thing. It will get worse! It is the sending unit in the tank. This is a common problem for this truck. My brother-in-law is a mechanic for GM and his Chevy started doing it also. I need to order mine, just haven't felt like dropping the tank lately. The altinator would not make the fuel gauge act up.

SCZ71

Reaction score
Had the same problem a few weeks ago on my 03 Tahoe. Guy who fixed it says its a common problem on the GM trucks that the fuel pump module goes bad. I had an erratic fuel gauge as well, and the fuel pump died. Bad news was, everything comes in one piece as a fuel pump module (pump, send unit, tank float) and its like $500 dealer cost. Good thing was, it fixed my pump problem and my fuel gauge problem!

REDYUKON

Reaction score
I have seen the price for fuel pump module for about $200.00 NEW. How difficult is it to replace the fuel pump?

SCZ71

Reaction score
I have seen the price for fuel pump module for about $200.00 NEW. How difficult is it to replace the fuel pump?

Have to drain the tank, drop the tank out and install the new one. I bought mine directly from the dealer, who is a close friend of mine, and bought it at their cost. It was well over $200. Is that an OEM part or an aftermarket?

robj

Reaction score
eom dealer at COST is 375-ish .. from a part warehouse same eom is 197.. least thats what i got mine for... i had the same issue... it was pretty easy to do myself...

btw did you get the warrenty letter? there is a known issue with teh gague cluster which COULD cause that i would take it in to the dealer and say you got the letter about your truck and see if this is the issue under warrenty might save you a few hundred.. and if not nothing is lost :)

biff467

Reaction score
Hey guys.
After reading about your problems with all of your fuel tanks I thought I might share some info with you all. I had the same problem when I had my GMC Jimmy. As it turns out I guess the reason this problem is common with GM vehicles is not GM's fault. Awhile ago the gas companies started using a new additive in gasoline. It was suppose to help MPG in most vehicles, but after awhile, people realized that their fuel gauge would go on the fritz like all of you are experiencing. Turns out after they looked into it, the additive they used in the gas would eat away at the seals in the tank around the floater. So the guage would never read accurately. GM was the only company to use this particular material, so GM owners were the only ones to experience it. So if you bought your truck used or even if you've had it for awhile, the first owner may not have decided to fix it since it didn't affect driving. Just thought you all should know. The problem isn't in your truck, it's in the fuel tank.

xplizt

Reaction score
Hey guys.
After reading about your problems with all of your fuel tanks I thought I might share some info with you all. I had the same problem when I had my GMC Jimmy. As it turns out I guess the reason this problem is common with GM vehicles is not GM's fault. Awhile ago the gas companies started using a new additive in gasoline. It was suppose to help MPG in most vehicles, but after awhile, people realized that their fuel gauge would go on the fritz like all of you are experiencing. Turns out after they looked into it, the additive they used in the gas would eat away at the seals in the tank around the floater. So the guage would never read accurately. GM was the only company to use this particular material, so GM owners were the only ones to experience it. So if you bought your truck used or even if you've had it for awhile, the first owner may not have decided to fix it since it didn't affect driving. Just thought you all should know. The problem isn't in your truck, it's in the fuel tank.

Sounds like it is GM's fault.

People with even the new pumps are still having problems, so why hasn't GM used a new seal for the replacement pumps? Obviously because its a good business.

TKemerly

Reaction score
I've got a 2009 Tahoe and we've just been told that the fuel level sender is bad and needs to be replaced too. This is disappointing that only at 80,000 miles we're having this kind of problem when it looks like it has been an issue for some time now. I found a dealer who has the part for $111 and with labor will cost me $400 total to have a working gauge again...not sure it is worth it if it is going to have seal problems in the future. Has this problem been fixed in the replacement parts?