escalade mirrors on tahoe or yukon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timmyjimmy5150

Reaction score
Cooltwin...
Any new updates on the chrome you are trying to attach to the mirror boot?
tj

cooltwin

Reaction score
the mirror covers should be here today. I have not heard back from the auto supply place, but i will call them today and see what is up. I will let you know what i find out hopefully tonight

jazejeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
guys i have the lower mirror caps in stock for $65 shipped with this new mod it should complete the esky look.. great work cooltwin!!!

custom creations 951-343-0806 (ask for jeff)

cooltwin

Reaction score
I just installed the mirror covers and the filler piece and it looks awesome!! i used adhesion promoter and it made the piece curve and stick around the bottom much easier. Its dark here now but i will post pics in the morning. The chrome also matches perfectly. This realy ads a lot to the look of the car and get rid of the plastic.

timmyjimmy5150

Reaction score
Great job cooltwin!!! Can't wait to see pics.... Now we need to work on a bunch of us getting this stuff......
Also --- what is adhesive promoter? Like a spray glue?
tj

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one I used for painting my gold bowties was made by Duplicolor and is like a primer for plastics. If you're glueing something to plastic or other material, you can use different kinds of solvents to make the surface more active and give you a better bond. Some plastics are particularly hard to stick to like the stuff around the mirrors, running boards, step tread on rear bumper, etc. So it helps to use some kind of activator.

cooltwin

Reaction score
Here are the pictures of the mirrors finaly done. I think they turned out great, but now i think i need the roof rack to go with it. The promoter came with the mirror covers and it was like a cleaner. it dried and then i stuck on the tape and it held extremely well. it is a 3m product. i also used adhesive cleaner in a spray can to get the oils off the plastic. it took me less than an hour to put them on and to make the filler pieces.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 11

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I think it looks pretty good too, man! How about the top portion of the boot? Finally, what did you use to cut the material? I would want to get a very smooth cut on all angles -- I'd have to experiment a few times I think...

You get my vote for the "most resourceful use of materials" to mimic an expensive Esky mod. :thumbsup:

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks nice!

To get a good idea of what shape you'd need to cut, you could use a piece of paper and an x-acto knife. Use the knife around the edge and you should end up with a pretty good template to use when cutting the chrome piece. That would eliminate some of the trial and error.

Last edited:

cooltwin

Reaction score
what i did was slide a piece of newspaper behind the mirror cover to make a pattern and trace it. then i cut it out and tested it. I cut the material with tin snips and this left a fairly smooth edge but a heavy pair of scisors would work, the material is not that thick. the jagedness in the photo is much smoother in person for some reason. Also if there looks like a gap between the 2 pieces, it is a reflection from the curve of the plastic, they actually touch each other perfectly. For the top of the cover i didnt do anything because it is a small piece and it is hard to bend that edge, it could be done with two pieces though. I may go back and put filler pieces along the back side and top. I did notice that you have to fold the mirror back and then cut with a knife around the mirror base so it can move, this is the reason why it may look like a funny cut, but that is what the shape is of the base so it can fold. The pictures make it look not as good as it does in person, you honestly cant tell the difference between the real thing. i am very happy with it.

Last edited:

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't misunderstand me -- I think it's great! Yep, I thought of that template idea as well... I'll have to start looking around for a shop to get me some of that stuff from and mess around a bit!

I love the chrome, man -- looks like it was a sunny and chilly day there in Denver today! :D

cooltwin

Reaction score
no problems, i think i am going to try and trim that passenger mirror, for some reason it looks slanted in the photo at the top, i didnt notice it before. Yes it is cold out here in denver, i wish it would warm up so i could wash the tahoe.