Finally...pics of the painted GMC emblem!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PatrykKoul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P1010138.jpg

Here's mine

ibobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fit perfectly, no cutting and the color matched good. I don't have any pictures, but I will try and post some.

I bought 2 GMC decals for the Acadia and it cost me $12, at that price it's definitely worth a try. Painting will take you a LONG time to get it taped perfectly and even then, you run the risk of nicks and dings down the road.
It took me less then 5 minutes to do both decals!

just ordered the chrome overlays(front and rear). I hope it matches. If not, i'll try the black.

:thumbsup:

Yukon Joe XL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the GMC emblem just clips on to the grill. I don't know the correct terminology for the type of clip, but there are about 3 or 4 long plastic pieces that have a clip "similar" to this:

plastic_clip_01.jpg

The plastic pieces holding the emblem to the grill have a middle section that needs to be compressed to release it from the grill. I just opened the hood, stuck my hand behind the grill w/ a really small flathead screwdriver and compressed the center for the clip. I then pulled from the front on the section that I had just been working on and it came out slightly. I then put something in the gap created in the front to keep the emblem from reattaching. I just repeated those steps until I had released all the clips and the emblem is off.

This will take the whole emblem off the grill, including the chrome bezel around the red GMC, not the red letters. I then painted it, and it was a matter of just pushing the emblem back on the grill until you heard the clips snap in.

On another note, I recently bought a GMC Acadia for the wife and of course I wanted to change the GMC emblem on that vehicle as well. I found on Ebay a place that you can get a decal in any color that will just stick on top of the emblem. I actually installed it last night and it looks awesome! I did both the front and rear emblems. I got them from here:

http://stores.ebay.com/Flaming-Decals

Great,:thumbsup: I didn't even know these were made. Now you gave me another mod. idea!
I was looking into the chrome grill but most I see say "fits over OEM grill" I would like to get the chrome grill but not at $400.00 +. Doesn't a fit over OEM grill cut down on air intake?

Yukon Joe XL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jasnite,

I took the whole grill off and taped it. I used painters tape around the chrome in the logo. Then, I cut a hole in a sheet and covered the rest of the grill. Lastly, I taped the sheet all around the tape on the logo. The great thing was that the paint didn't really adhere to the chrome real well since I didn't prep it. I used a combination of slim tools to get any paint drippings out of the crack in between the red and chrome sections of the logo. However, I didn't have much since I'd taped it all down pretty well.

I should've taken pictures as I did it.

Also, I wet-sanded, primed, painted and clear-coated. Took the better part of a day to complete once I got the grill off. I swear it took me four hours to figure out how to get that thing off...even with the schematics. It took about four seconds to put back it.

If you decide to do it, let me know and I'll try to help.

What was the problem in getting the grill off. I'm going to replace mine soon and your hard work can make my job easier:) Thanks, Joe

ibobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I received and installed the "Flaming Decals" overlay. I got the chrome. They look cool if you are standing a few feet away. But as you get closer u can see the chrome is little bit different. Not real bad, but if you're looking for it, you can see a difference.

It was pretty easy to install, just peel and stick. The only grip I have about them is that the overlay edges dont stick as well on the outer beveled edge on the emblem letters. I even used a credit card to push the edges down but they popped back up.

I'll post pics lata.

Last edited: