flex plate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leatherneck

Reaction score
hey fellas just trying to see if anyone has any ides about a flexplate going out mine went out on me at 136K with the original starter still inside. i thought it was the starter at first but it looked good then i took a look at the flex plate and it was a mess, now i'm having to replace it taking apart the exhaus torque converter cover, transmission and front drive shaft, tommorrow rear driveshaft and then scooting back the trans and transfer case . to get to the damn flex plate at this point i wish it was the starter.

my idea is the truck had a lot of miles i bought it @ 87k now it has 136k i was thinking maybe it was just because of howmany times the starter may have been engaged during its time and not becuase of the starter not being shimmed right??

anybody agree or disagree

96 ho

Reaction score
Could be a number of things- but yeah a starter that is out of alignment or a driver who engages the starter too long/ while the engine is running can damage a flex plate.

leatherneck

Reaction score
Ah now that i think about it i think it is my remote starter that caused it to wear out like that ,i know there has been a few times where i have tried to start the truck and it would take a while to crank up cause my fuel pump was giving me problems, and one or two occasions where it just caught a bad spot on the flex plate and and grind the crap out of it . Oh well its fix now after 2 and 1/2 days later. now i can move on to putting in that 5.3 i've been wanting to do