Frequently Replaced/Changed Parts...SHARE YOUR STORIES

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Colabella7077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have an idea or list of parts that usually go bad on these types of vehicles? I could name:

Lower Intake Gasket Leaks
Fuel Pump (we've all had our fight with that damn hum)
Dirty Injectors???

Any humming sounds or electrical sounds when you turn the heat/ac to off position?

Green Light Diode when light is off

FEEL FREE TO SPEAK AND ADD ANYTHING

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
Water Pump
Cheap Pot metal pipe into lower intake
Head Gaskets
Cracked heads
Various gasket leaks due to contaminated DexCool
PLugged heater cores

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's my list on my '99 Yukon Denali over the 10 yrs... (long list... sorry)

-Changed lower manifold gaskets twice. Once because of a leak @ 100k miles (fixed w/ updated oem gaskets and green coolant). Then changed again recently (after 60K miles) because I was doing some work that involved removing the upper manifold. The gaskets looked fine.. No problems... so I replaced them again w/ oem and green coolant again.

-Heater hose quick connect on the intake manifold corroded, and replace each time w/ manifold gasket change. Next time I'll just just a hose barb fitting... I shoulda done that this time. (it's a 1/2" NPT thread in case any of you want to do it. The fitting can be found at any home depot/lowes, etc. for a couple bucks.)

-Injector service from dealer.. injectors went bad under warranty, so they replaced the problem poppets. Few yrs later, they made engine stumble, so dealer cleaned. Then fine for next 40k miles and on. I recently replaced the poppet injector unit w/ the updated real injectors... Hopefully I never have to even worry about this issue anymore.

-Fuel pump replaced once by dealer around 80k miles. Current one is still working fine.. not noisy yet. I heard a good tip is to have a decent amount of fuel in the tank to keep the pump cool. Don't let it go to empty... at least not for long. If this one goes out.. then I'll still replace it w/ AC Delco pump. Seems like they last the longest.

-Replaced water pump, belts, thermostat, and coolant each time I did manifold gaskets. All the parts were still in working order. Recently replaced bad idler pulley and belt tensioner as well.

-Shocks went out around 80k.. but easy to replace. Tried Edlbrock IAS... but didnt like them. Next was Tokico shocks... and these gave a nice ride.. just like stock... and now it's on Ranchos because I needed longer shocks.

-Distributor housing cracked where the bolts for the cap go. Recently replaced w/ ebay billet distributor and Oem cap/roter. the distributor gear still looked like ok condition after 160k... but some people say to check and change if needed.

-AC compressor leaked (HT6 notorious GM belly leaker). Replaced w/ Sanden compressor, made in USA and 1 piece body... and cheaper than oem. So far so good.

-Battery replaced 4 times. Seems like 3 yr life span is average for me.

-CD changer stopped working yrs ago. Left it alone.

-Wiper went bad. motor control replaced once (the unit on the firewall). was easy to replace.

-Recently replaced steering position sensor.

-Had to replace pitman arm and bad upper ball joint (5 yrs ago)

-Oem brakes suck... but that's a whole nuther can of worms.

-ATF was always serviced by dealer... up to 130k miles and now it's due again.. but I'm going to do it myself w/ transgo kit install, additional cooler, temp gauge, deeper pan, etc. as soon as I can find the time ;oP

-Many of the interior light on the dash and radio went out... but were replaced... and like new again. If you can solder a motor in an R/C car, you can do this. Easy.

-My front driv seat heater isn't working.

-Drive door hinge needs new bushing and pins.

-Rear pass window switch isn't working (not a big deal, as nobody sit there anyway... and it only opens like 4 " anyway). I'll get to that one day.

-High beam doesn't work. I've narrowed it down to the multifunction switch (which is on it's way as we speak). I hope this solves it. (I've been using my PIAA 520's as high beam. This actually made the real high beam look pathetic... but still, I want to get everything working as it should)

-Dash light will turn off randomly when left in the 'off' position (auto headlights). When the switch is turned to headlight, then I hear a noise from the DRL relay area. Anyway, once the switch is rotated to 'on' position, the dash lights are fine. I'm actually planning to disable the DRL and use the fogs as DRL instead. I think it'll look cooler.

-My side view mirrors are self tinting and heated... and are now yellow.

This is almost everything I can think of that was an issue. It sounds like a lot, but over 10 yrs, this truck has actually been pretty reliable, and I love it.

How's your truck?

Last edited:

NYrr496

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 98 Yukon has 224,000 miles on it. I've swapped the lower intake gaskets and changed to green antifreeze, I'm on my third fuel pump, I swapped out the injector assembly about 70,000 miles ago and I think I changed the power brake booster twice.
None of that is as much fun as the fact that I'm on my fourth or fifth transmission. What hunks of crap those 4L60E's are. Thank God my trans guy has a conscience and he warrantees them. I don't feel this is his fault. I've used him for over twenty years and this is the only vehicle I've ever had a problem with... Then again, it's the only one I've put this kind of mileage on.

Zachaotic

Reaction score
I have changed the fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel pump relay. Upper and lower ball joints both sides, pitman arm, idler arm, inner and outer tie rod ends both sides. The front end was rattling around like crazy before all that. I need a new wheel bearing in the rear passenger side. Wipers are acting crazy, but I think I pinned it down to the wiper pulse board. New cap, rotor, plugs, wires, K&N filter. Radiator and hoses. C/V axle drivers side, both front axle seals. U-joints in rear driveshaft. 3 inch lift blocks to level the back out. Need new shocks. Dash pad reinforcement kit because my dash was cracked at the top mounting bolts and was shaking around, annoying as hell. There is no freon in my a/c pump because I don't even want to mess with it, the truck only gets 14 mpg anyway, I'm not trying to break the bank. I have had the truck for 2 years. 95 tahoe with about 165k.

starsailor

Reaction score
'96 Tahoe LS 4WD 5.7l currently 217K miles. Oil and filter changed every 3-4K miles by me, dealer, or Valvolene. Air filter and wiper blades once per year. Intake cleaned with Seafoam every 50K mi. All work done by me except where noted.

50K - Drive shaft cracked and made a horrible creeking noise at slow speed for a couple thousand miles, including a trip from NewEngland to Miami towing a boat. Took forever and 5 shops, including 2 dealers that failed, to diagnose it. Finally a Monroe muffler/suspension shop in Miami figured it out and replace it with a new OEM shaft.
60K - front and rear brakes, shoes/drums and pads/rotors by dealer.
65K - first set of tires with a second set of BFG Longtrails - they wear very well!
85K - 2nd gear in the auto trans went. Replaced by dealer with a rebuilt unit with upgraded parts - no probblems since. I have to say the stock 4L60E is weakest link in this drive train, but it can easily be rebuilt and made almost bullet proof with upgraded parts, just listen to a reputable trans rebuilder.
100K - Original platinum plugs replaced with OEM replacements.
120K - replaced front brake pads and rotors.
125K - 3rd set of BFG Longtrail tires
130K - front shocks went - replaced with Monroe. Original rear shocks still going strong.
145K - Radiator went, replaced with aftermarket replacement.
160K - water pump went, replaced with AZ store brand and a Moog thermostat - should have done this when I did the radiator.
175K - 2nd set of OEM plugs and new wires.
180K - all brakes rotors/pads, shoes/drums again.
185K - AC compressor started leaking on the butt end - still haven't fixed it. So, no AC.
190K - Major front end work. All tie rod ends, pitman arm, idler arm, sway bar end links, sway bar bushings, and steering box replaced. All Moog except for Delco sway bar bushings and rebuilt steering box.
200K - fuel pump replaced in tank with AZ store brand. What a pain in the a$$ to drop the tank on jackstands in my driveway. Wound up wearing the rusted out skid plates in little bits.
201K - headlights lenses yellowed - sanded, polished, and reconditioned with Meguire's kit.
205K - rear brake cylinders because 1 was starting to leak and bleeders were rusted shut.
206K - starting to notice piston slap on cold startup below 60degF.
210K - upper ball joints - replaced with Moog. Still have new lower ball joints on the shelf waiting for them to go.
212K - 3rd set of BFG Longtrail tires - I still can't believe this!
213K - pinion bearing in rear end went, replaced with a junkyard swap and did cranky U-joints and an output shaft seal at the same time.
215K - running very rough under load - found 2 spark plug insulators cracked. Replaced with 3rd set of OEM plugs.
216K - steering rag joint rebuilt with new Dorman kit rubber dounut.
217K - just did a complete trans, front diff, and transfer case service.

Last edited: