Front seat removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

acworld

Reaction score
Does anyone know the size NUT bolt that holds the front seats down.

I have a 2005 Tahoe LS and there is a funny looking NUT on the bolt it looks like a torx /Star NUT.

Does anyone know the size I'm trying to take these seats out ???

any help would be appreciated because i tried to go to sears they don't have the size in External torx socket.

But i'm guessing it is a torx pattern at this point .

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha I just ordered this thing today. They are external torx bits. E16 does not fit. I ordered E18 and E20 today to find out. I assume its E18 cuz the 2nd row nuts are 18mm.

Chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I used a 15mm on the front nuts and 12mm on the rear bolts. At first look I thought oh hell I need secial sockets but '05 they could have changed.

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not a "Special" socket its just that standard sets usually only go up to E16 a few got to E20 but the impact driver sets are the commonly bigger ones up to a E24

acworld

Reaction score
Ha I just ordered this thing today. They are external torx bits. E16 does not fit. I ordered E18 and E20 today to find out. I assume its E18 cuz the 2nd row nuts are 18mm.

where did you order it from ?

they sell individual ones?

Yeah I tide the E16 from Sears did not fit. do they sell those in stores i would rather pick them up if possible. I hate waiting

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where did you order it from ?

they sell individual ones?

Yeah I tide the E16 from Sears did not fit. do they sell those in stores i would rather pick them up if possible. I hate waiting

yeah man I went to Auto Value just go to the parts store. the guy ordered himself a whole set just to have m but yeah you can buy them seperately. Mine was 13 bucks but impact style they have others too ask them to show you in their book.

Chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not a "Special" socket its just that standard sets usually only go up to E16 a few got to E20 but the impact driver sets are the commonly bigger ones up to a E24

No I mean I used a regular 6 point sockets on them. If it does use a regular 15mm 6 pt on the front and a regular 12mm 6pt on the rear.

Last edited:

Chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MyHoe004.jpg

That what yours looks like?

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MyHoe004.jpg

That what yours looks like?

Yeah! Thats it I just belive in using the actual tools for everything. Better torque (safety) with no stripping and I have to do it more than once.

Chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That nut doesn't look stripped does it? Though it might come loose and if I have my window down it might suck me out the window, seat and all! I'll be saying damn I should have bought the proper tools for the job. Be sure you look out for me I'll be the guy tumbling down the freeway strapped to a seat.:lol:

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That nut doesn't look stripped does it? Though it might come loose and if I have my window down it might suck me out the window, seat and all! I'll be saying damn I should have bought the proper tools for the job. Be sure you look out for me I'll be the guy tumbling down the freeway strapped to a seat.:lol:

Well I build 3 million dollar jet engines so it rubs off on everything I wrench. But yes I've made do also.

Chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm joking with you. I couldn't resist. By all means get the proper tools. I guess I only amused myself with that one.

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm joking with you. I couldn't resist. By all means get the proper tools. I guess I only amused myself with that one.

No offense taken I can't show sarcasm on the computer either so... But in a pinch I would do your strategy while at the parts store I'd order the socket. You Know.

Chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just get out the vice grips already.:D

Seriously though, you selling the center seat and putting in a console?

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who the hell wants a center seat...lol I only bought it so I could take it out and make my own console. I pm'ed a guy in the classifieds but it looks like he just signed up to look for a middle seat or something.

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright the front nuts are E20 and the rear bolts are E16 not a bad job at all enjoy!