Fuel Gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thdrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I've seen it on here, but couldn't think of the right search phrase so here it goes. Finally got ride of the P0455 error but my fuel gauge reads approximately 1/8 of a tank lower than what is in there, would this fit into the instrument cluster recall that I have seen posted on here and if so how would you recommend I approach the dealership.

Paul

thdrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kinda a bump, but not really.

Just realized something odd with my fuel gauge in that while it reads ~1/8th of a tank low it does not do it all the time. The gauge will read all the way to full when I top off the tank, then after approximately 25-30 miles of travel if I turn off and restart the truck it drops to 7/8ths of a tank (which it has done since I got it used over a year ago). However in the last two weeks or so once it hits this point it rapidly drops to 1/4 tank and decreases from there with the same characteristics that use to occur at 1/4 tank now occuring at 5/8ths. Also in the last two weeks when the idiot light comes on saying I have low fuel it takes less to fill it. The gallons to fill from the current "E" are approximately what they were when I fill from just under 1/4.

I am really at a loss for this sudden irradic behavior of the gauge and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the matter for me. I will probably give the stealership a call tomorrow to see if they believe it is instrument cluster related or sending unit related. Also, if it helps anyone, I have already had the fuel pump replaced about a year ago and have no driveability issues other than the screwy fuel gauge.

Paul

DarkTahoe00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did that but one minute its reading full the next its empty and eventuality the fuel pump give up,so I replaced it and no more problems! Since you all ready did that,but I would still do a pressure test to make sure,if thats still not it I would say its your cluster then!

thdrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any ideas on how to check the line pressure?