Fuel Injection Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PhoneMan

Reaction score
Hi Folks-

Looks like I will be replacing the entire fuel injection "spider" since my truck is burning through fuel like it's free, I keep getting a cylinder three mis-fire and it just seems to be running rough.

I have the Haynes manual and while it does a decent job of walking you through the steps, I'm hoping I can get some tips and tricks from someone that's done this themselves.

The truck has the 5.7L Vortec engine. It's been throwing P0304 codes for awhile and after having replaced rotor, cap, wires, plugs, cam sensor it still throws it. Research on here and other web sources point to a faulty injector/poppet valve. Since I have to pull the upper manifold off and RockAuto has a good price on a full set of Delphi injectors, might as well replace them all.

So, what other things can I expect when I tackle this?

Are there specific gaskets that I will need to replace?

Any tips/tricks in actually removing the upper manifold?

Any "gotchas" I may need to be aware of?

Any specialty tools I may need?

Estimated time to perform this?

Will I need a "helper" for this?

Other than the injector assembly (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1112070) are there additional items or parts I will need to complete this?

I may be missing something or not including a question, so any additional information that may help will be most appreciative.

Really appreciate the assistance and information I've received from this forum!

ma87k5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are gonna change your spider injection you might want to upgrade to mpi spider. It moves the injectors to the intake instead of keeping them all together. Prob run somewhere around $300. I believe all the bolts you will remove are 10mm, except for fuel line retainer nuts. Don't remember what size they are maybe 7mm. Use a deep socket for 10mm. There is a bolt that holds the fuel line, you need to remove it. Just follow the lines and you'll see it. Look at everything before you remove anything to see what needs to be moved. when re-installing the upper intake use vasaline for the o-ring on the injector assembly, you'll see where. One person job. Shouldn't take more then 30-60 min. If you run into any problems feel free to pm me. Hope this helps.

ma87k5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A correction. The 8 intake bolt are 13mm and the fuel line retainer nuts are 5/16.

revlimiter776

Reaction score
just went through this on my 96, spent a fortune and changed everything, final problem was bad intake gaskets and a bent exhaust valve. i paid 400 for the better fuel injection spider with mpi, take off the intake and do a compression and leak down test while your in there to see if the heads are ready for some love. my truck now runs so strong it ate the tranny

Last edited: