Fuel Leak at Tank.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zachaotic

Reaction score
I changed my fuel pump, filter and relay a while back. There was about 80 lbs of mud holding the gas tank on. After about 2 hours of chipping I dropped the tank, only to find more dried mud on the pump assembly. The lock ring holding down the fuel pump assembly was so rusted out, the tabs on the tank that lock it down bend and move pretty easily. I don't wan't to mess up the tank, but it will not seal properly at the sealing surface. I am aware of silicon turning into goop when it contacts gasoline for too long. I am getting by alright with just filling my tank 3/4 or so and not losing any gas. I plan on buying a bottle of evapo-rust to remove the rust on the lock ring and sealing surface. But the sealing part is tricky though. For some reason, if I EVER have to replace my fuel pump in the life of this truck again I will probably just buy a new tank because of this problem. So I don't mind having a giant mound of rock solid junk sitting on top of my gas tank, as long as the damn thing seals. Anyone had any luck with epoxy putty, or gas tank sealant? anything else? the tank is plastic with metal retaining hardware.

95 tahoe, tbi 5.7