Fuel pump on its way out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nickleahy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I think my fuel pump may be going and I really dont want to get stranded somewhere this winter..sometimes it whines pretty loud...when i start it, i have to have the key foward and prime the pump otherwise it sputters at first..once i step on the gas it idles fine..What kinda price am i looking at to put a new pump in? I figure I should do it before i get stranded this winter..I have access to a lift over thanksgiving so that should help I would think..

41racing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your fuel pressure regulator. It's on the fuel rail on the drivers side of you engine. Pull off the vacuum hose and see if gas comes out. Sometimes it will be very little and sometimes it will gush out. If there isn't any you might want to check it several different times as sometimes there is so little you wont see it. You can try to tap the hose end on something close by and gas might come out of there. If you do get gas out of the hose or regulator the regulator is bad. Replace it any your problems will be gone. The chevy pumps are usually pretty noisey so I wouldn't worry about that. You could have a shop with a lap scope scope your fuel pump's pattern and then you could tell if you needed to replace it anyway. Keep us posted.