General Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RC-Calypso

Reaction score
Hello,
I am new to this forum, and I have many questions to ask of you forum members.
I currently own a Tahoe 03 ( the wife's) and I am doing research for another one.

To give a little bit of history, I come from a Chevi family, (over 65 years)however in '98 I strayed. I started with Germany (MB), then went to Japan (Honda and Mazda) and now I'm turning a full 360 and coming back home.

I want to get GM SUV; as I said before I have questions.
Should I get a Tahoe or a Yukon? What is the diff. between Denali and LTZ?
I am already familiar with the Chevi engineering; so, is the GMC much different?

I am not 100% on the Delco HU's. They have not kept up with tecnology since my hoe 03. If I change the factory HU will the steering controls work with an after market unit? Actually all I need is a unit with a USB port, so I can connect a thumb drive with audio books.
Is that possible, or perhaps an aftermarket addition to the existing unit?

Then, (OK I'm a whinner) is it possible to make both front (driver and passenger) windows express down and up (like most other vehicles)?

Thank you fellow Chevi enthusiasts,

Rich2007Z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the '07+, biggest difference is the engines - Tahoe is the 5.3L and the Yukons are 6.2L and a few dollars more. IMO, there are just styling differences. I don't have an LTZ - I preferred the Z71 package - I am not a big fan of the fake woodgrain. The Z71 has the brushed aluminum look and the two-tone leather interior; I have the ebony (black) and titanium (silver) which go well with the rest of the black/silver interior. Plus a little stiffer ride and a few other appearance things.

There are enough people on here that can point out the other differences. Test drive them both and go with your gut feeling. Either way, you won't be disappointed. Best vehicle I have ever owned!

Good luck hunting.

RC-Calypso

Reaction score
Thanks guys,
I can see I'm among true GM people.
I'll try to absorb as much as I can before making the purchase.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the record, the Yukon doesn't have a 6.2L unless you get the Denali version.

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before you do choose, make sure you drive one on the interstate. We just purchased a 2008 LT3 Z71 and we completely love it, but the ride is definitely stiffer on the Z71 version than the LT and LTZ. I was a little disappointed when we took it to Clearwater for the first time this morning. However, coming from Japanese cars, you may prefer the stiffer feel. Besides that minor detail, we are obsessed with the new one.

On the other hand, I still have no desire to sell my 2004 LT. I really enjoy both body styles. Take your time and look at all the different packages before you write that $50k check!

uofmz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
correct me if im wrong but i think the Denali has AWD and the LTZ comes in 2X4 or 4X4. and only the denali has the 6.2L everything else has 5.7L

as far as changing the HU... do some searching about the whole USB port thing. i have seen some but dont really know what you want. and now most HU will comply with steering controls... but again ask someone in that field to be sure...

the denali is nice but its got a hefty price tag and i think they [yukons in general, no offense to any owners!] are ugly, besides unless you just want to spend the money i would prefer the LTZ (of the two options)

i personally like the Z71 (currently own one) and LOVE it. i bought it because of the suspension, which like mentioned is a bit stiffer, but i like it that way!

1. Go test drive some. i would say all different models w/ and w/o navi and different upgrades.
2. Pick the one (if you still like) that you LOVE best.
3. Take it home
4. Take some pictures
5. Show us
6. Ask us about what you think your next mod is going to be
7. We'll tell you
8. Im really bored
9. Enjoy! :yaya:

RC-Calypso

Reaction score
I'm starting to like this place already.

I thank all of you for your excellent responses.
Now, remembeer I already own a Tahoe (LS 03), I'm trying to figure out what I should get next. I'm kinda biased to an LTZ, but trying to keep an open mind at the same time.

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
correct me if im wrong but i think the Denali has AWD and the LTZ comes in 2X4 or 4X4. and only the denali has the 6.2L everything else has 5.7L

The Denali comes w/ the 6.2L and AWD, but everything else is not a 5.7L, it is a 5.3L. There's also a 4.8L on the "Less Stuff" models, and also a 6.0L available on some models (Suburban/Yukon XL).

Also, I've heard (here) that the 6.2L is now available for '08 Chevrolets on 2WD models but I forget if it's just on the Tahoe or the Suburban, or if it's for both. Didn't pay too much attention to the thread, I'm one of those guys with the UGLY Denalis.

gundog

Reaction score
When shopping for my 2007 Yukon, the major difference I found was that the Yukon came standard with a different rear end than what is or was standard on the Tahoe. I was also told by the salesman that the Yukon came standard with more insulation. I have my suspicion about the insulation but the standard rear end with each was different when I bought mine 2007 in Nov. 2006.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
I'm starting to like this place already.

I thank all of you for your excellent responses.
Now, remembeer I already own a Tahoe (LS 03), I'm trying to figure out what I should get next. I'm kinda biased to an LTZ, but trying to keep an open mind at the same time.

You have found the home of die hard Tahoe fanatics, welcome.

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you asked for opinions, so I'll give you mine since I have owned an '07 Tahoe, a '07 Yukon XL, and a '07 Yukon XL Denali. Appearance is a personal preference so I won't touch on that. To me the true beauty of a car is what's under the hood! If you have looked at an LTZ Tahoe and a Denali you will see that there is only a couple thousand dollars difference between the two. To me it was worth it to get the 6.2L 380HP V8 (which is now over 400HP), 6 speed transmission and AWD. We live in a hilly area of the rainy Pacific Northwest and the AWD is a plus knowing my wife is driving my boys around in the rain or snow w/ AWD. It performs unbelievably. It's practicly impossible to get this vehicle loose! Also, the 4 speed in the Tahoe/Yukon was horrible on hills! The 6 speed is night and day better. Since I'm a horsepower guy, I love the 400HP on tap! Since I've always had fast cars, the 5.3L Tahoe/Yukon was a bit of a dog to me (even w/ chip, intake & exhaust). Sorry! There is a full 2 second difference from 0-60 between the two. Ya, ya some will chime in with "you shouldn't be driving such a big vehicle so fast", but I like to know the powers there, and I use it, but it doesn't mean I'm drag racing. Some will argue, but I also feel that the Denali will have better resale value. So the Denali was the best fit for me, does that mean it's the best fit for everybody, no way! There are things that can be considered negative, no E-85capability, only AWD, 10% worse gas mileage, styling, ect. The best thing I can say is educate yourself on the differences between the GM 900's so you make the best decision for you. My .02 cents.

uofmz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you asked for opinions, so I'll give you mine since I have owned an '07 Tahoe, a '07 Yukon XL, and a '07 Yukon XL Denali. Appearance is a personal preference so I won't touch on that. To me the true beauty of a car is what's under the hood! If you have looked at an LTZ Tahoe and a Denali you will see that there is only a couple thousand dollars difference between the two. To me it was worth it to get the 6.2L 380HP V8 (which is now over 400HP), 6 speed transmission and AWD. We live in a hilly area of the rainy Pacific Northwest and the AWD is a plus knowing my wife is driving my boys around in the rain or snow w/ AWD. It performs unbelievably. It's practicly impossible to get this vehicle loose! Also, the 4 speed in the Tahoe/Yukon was horrible on hills! The 6 speed is night and day better. Since I'm a horsepower guy, I love the 400HP on tap! Since I've always had fast cars, the 5.3L Tahoe/Yukon was a bit of a dog to me (even w/ chip, intake & exhaust). Sorry! There is a full 2 second difference from 0-60 between the two. Ya, ya some will chime in with "you shouldn't be driving such a big vehicle so fast", but I like to know the powers there, and I use it, but it doesn't mean I'm drag racing. Some will argue, but I also feel that the Denali will have better resale value. So the Denali was the best fit for me, does that mean it's the best fit for everybody, no way! There are things that can be considered negative, no E-85capability, only AWD, 10% worse gas mileage, styling, ect. The best thing I can say is educate yourself on the differences between the GM 900's so you make the best decision for you. My .02 cents.

very well put!

RC-Calypso

Reaction score
Ha ha,
I love it,
no need to fight, its all GM.
1 quick question, those who have navigation package: how accurate are the maps, and the POI's? And when was the last update? Are they frequent? In South Florida, things change quickly; restaurants come and go; subdivisions appear overnight.

That would determine wether I should get it or just use my portable unit.

RC-Calypso

Reaction score
The Denali comes w/ the 6.2L and AWD, but everything else is not a 5.7L, it is a 5.3L. There's also a 4.8L on the "Less Stuff" models, and also a 6.0L available on some models (Suburban/Yukon XL).

Also, I've heard (here) that the 6.2L is now available for '08 Chevrolets on 2WD models but I forget if it's just on the Tahoe or the Suburban, or if it's for both. Didn't pay too much attention to the thread, I'm one of those guys with the UGLY Denalis.

I'm sorry to hear you drive the UGLY Denaly ( - :), sorry just kiddin'). Let me ask you: do you have 2nd row buckets? I seem to be inclined to them, but I'm not sure if they become impractical as far as passenger space goes.