GM to close Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban plant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score

the lambda suvs have been out for almost 2 years now. My parents have matching ones. My dad has an Enclave and my mother has an Acadia. Fwd has no traction and more than 1//4 throttle will spin the tires. Plus it gets 12-13 around town, my yukon gets 15 mpg around town with a larger v-8, and has twice the space. The highest highway mpg I have ever seen out of the acadia was 19.8 but that was at 65 mph, go up to 75 to keep up with traffic and it drops to 17mpg. Not worth it IMO as the tahoe gets slightly worse (and i have seen that in a tahoe) and has much more space, power, and is an actual truck. not a Big car.

Last edited:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its sad though. The suburban yukon xl, tahoe, etc were my most favorite vehicle in the entire world, and i would continue to buy them all my life. But the suburban started in 1935 after a depression, i guess its proper death would be in another one.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See where the Enclaves are having a rash of cam problems.

my dads had that issue, was a PITA, and we almost had to lemon law it. Over at Enclaveforum.net (i messed with them too much and they told me to leave:smilielol:, they dont like my humor, o yea and some of them are real gm haters who say they own an enclave but are just there to bash) But they are reporting aton of issues. I will take my yukon any day of the week over one of them.

metro273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel real bad for all of those "cheeseheads" that are gonna lose their jobs, especially right before the holidays...:(

T-pole

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So in Dec, they won't produce Tahoes anymore? Aren't they made in Texas too, or did that plant already close?

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just the Janesville plant is closing. The Arlington plant will still be producing objects of our affection.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
its sad though. The suburban yukon xl, tahoe, etc were my most favorite vehicle in the entire world, and i would continue to buy them all my life. But the suburban started in 1935 after a depression, i guess its proper death would be in another one.

I agree with RT, my favorite vehicle's are the GMT900 series Tahoe/Ukon/Escalade,These are just awesome vehicles and everyone even Toyota has copied them. I honestly don't know what else they could do to make it look better as it is awesome the way it is. the next cool favorite vehicle would be a C-6 Corvette.
I would be saddened to see production totally stop.

Last edited:

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I was gonna say there's still Arlington and I think Mexico. I guess the lower numbers will make these a little more rare one day far into the future.

This is sad, it kills me to see GM screwing up year after year. I may never buy another Japanese car ever again.

05Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish they would close the plant in mexico. But I can also say I have one that has been built at all 3 of the plants and the one that came from the Janesvill plant has had the most problems. Sad to see a US plant close. Its bad that they are closing that plant and the plant that makes all the trailblazers around Christmas. BOF Suvs are dying.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're right, they should close any foreign plants first, but I guess that would be like lessening the impact on the bottom line. Of course, in the long run it would benefit America in general, but hey, what do I know.

Texasguy

Reaction score
Arlington, TX (Home of the Tahoe factory)
I would switch to a Silverado or Sierra way before buying a V6 crossover; but that should be a moot point since I'm keeping my Hoe forever:cool2:
I think the perception of bad gas mileage is hurting sales of GMT900's more than rational gas mileage choices. These trucks give great gas mileage considering their size and power, just compare to the competition, even compare the numbers to vehicles like the Trailblazer. My Hoe returns better mileage than what Chevy lists, it might only be better by .4 mpgs more, but most vehicles I've owned returned less than stated. If you start comparing the gas mileage to sport coupes and sedans that require premium fuel you will see a close cost of ownership there, but yet many of these cars, like the G37 for example, don't carry that stigma.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
I would switch to a Silverado or Sierra way before buying a V6 crossover; but that should be a moot point since I'm keeping my Hoe forever:cool2:
I think the perception of bad gas mileage is hurting sales of GMT900's more than rational gas mileage choices. These trucks give great gas mileage considering their size and power, just compare to the competition, even compare the numbers to vehicles like the Trailblazer. My Hoe returns better mileage than what Chevy lists, it might only be better by .4 mpgs more, but most vehicles I've owned returned less than stated. If you start comparing the gas mileage to sport coupes and sedans that require premium fuel you will see a close cost of ownership there, but yet many of these cars, like the G37 for example, don't carry that stigma.

I drove from my house in Santa Clarita to Disneyland and used only 1/8 of a tank so highway is not bad,in town I use more , but for a large vehicle it does ver well, it is pretty funny to hear other large SUV owners bitch about how theit SUV suck gas.:smilielol: