GMS Employee Discount?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ultra150

Reaction score
I read on here that if you know somebody that works for GM, they might be able to get you their discount. What's the difference on the GMS employee discount vs the Supplier Discount Program? Thanks,

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are at least two levels of discount. No one can get you the full Employee Discount unless you are related to them; i.e. father, mother, child, spouse, grandchild. The GM Supplier Discount for Friends & Family is not as deep a discount, but an eligible GM Employee/Retiree can generate a discount code for that program for anyone. The discount levels for each program vary, but the Employee Discount price is by far the better of the two. Does that help clarify?

akim47

Reaction score
i just bought my Denali through the GMS pricing. When you are at the dealer, the GMS and supplier pricing is fixed. They can print out exactly what the amount is. For example, if I wanted the LTZ that was MSRP'd at $53,015, the GMS Pricing was $45,311. However, you get any applicable rebates on top of that. So if there is a $2,000 rebate, your total would be $43,211.

Everywhere I looked, the GMS pricing was about $2,000 cheaper than the supplier discount.

It is harder to get GMS since its for immediate family.

Also, although GMS pricing is fixed, you can still negotiate on APR if you are going to finance your vehicle.

hope this helps

OSU_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got GMS pricing (employee pricing) on my '07 late last year without being a relative or employee. At that time, not sure if it was a year-end program or what, you could get GMS pricing thru the supplier discount program if you were buying a new GM product to "replace" a non-GM product. Mind you no one states what 'replace' means, and I did not have to trade in a non-GM vehicle. In fact I traded in my '02 Trailblazer. We had several employees take advantage of the program. I also got the rebate that was available at the time (which can vary regionally) as well as a match on the best APR I could find on my own.

I know, it seemed odd to me too, but I re-re-reconfirmed the program and the pricing levels with several dealers and our company's GM contact before closing the deal. Since we're getting close to year-end again, maybe it will be available again. It wasn't really broadcast that much last year and I found out about it almost by accident so you may want to ask around.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very true! Sometimes they run specials where anyone can get GM employee pricing -- like he said, just ask!

TN Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got GM Supplier Discount thought my Uncle. He retired from GM. I checked it against invoice and it saved me another 300.00 dollars under invoice plus GM will not let the dealer charge doc fees so that saved me another 375.00 for a total of 675.00 under invoice Then I got the 2000.00 rebate on top of that. I was right at 6,000.00 off list on a LT3.

Snomon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I received a GM Supplier Discount number recently and just checked the price of my LTZ that I already bought via http://www.gmfamilyfirst.com.

The website says the supplier discount equates to about $650 over invoice. I actually picked up my LTZ for "at invoice" price before rebates w/o much haggling because I dealt with the fleet guy.

Pretty underwhelming but if you don't have experience buying fleet vehicles, it's a good starting point.

BowTieBandit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fleet/Internet buying is the way to go. Toyota also has a employee discount program for the employees of the N.U.M.M.I car plant in Fremont, CA. They can get the discount for a GM or Toyota vehicle. Since they build both Chevy's & Toyota's there. It's an awesome price they get, all the profit, hold back, destination, reserve, you name it.

sielo_X

Reaction score
I just bought my 08 using my GMS discount that I got for working at Best Buy. I get an awesome discount there too. The discount is technically 5% above GM employee pricing. I did receive a letter saying that I could use my discount for "friends" and family members. So if you're interested, send me an email at [email protected].

TN Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought my 08 using my GMS discount that I got for working at Best Buy. I get an awesome discount there too. The discount is technically 5% above GM employee pricing. I did receive a letter saying that I could use my discount for "friends" and family members. So if you're interested, send me an email at [email protected].

Just wondering what did that work out to compared to invoice? The dealer should have showed you on a print out what list vs cost vs GMS was Plus They should not have charged any doc fees. :thumbsup:

sielo_X

Reaction score
I honestly don't remember any fees that we incurred. The sticker was at 37k and we ended up paying 31k for it.