Good Quality Replacement Headlights for 98

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea tell us how those ones go.. im ready to throw my smoked projectors and original lights out the door.... maybe i can sell all my front end lights and get some tyc ones or something..

HaKs310

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love'em so far. Nice white light.
Cutoff doesn't compare to projectors but then again I didn't expect it to0. I would compare it to the cutoff line for an Altima though, my brother has one and they are the same. Also love the 4Hi Mod.
Installation was simple and went without a glitch.
I keep meaning to take pics but forget, I'll try getting some tonight and posting them tomorrow.

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how do you go throw the diff settings like 4 hi mode and 4 low?? like that stuff.. and whats cutofff mean>....>???

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how do you go throw the diff settings like 4 hi mode and 4 low?? like that stuff.. and whats cutofff mean>....>???

cut off is well, where the light is cutoff. Projectors excel at this. Reflectors dont. But the D1R hids from TYV still have a great beam paddern having an HID reflector and are DOT.

HaKs310

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Low would just be the HIDs, 4Hi would be the HIDs(Lows) and the His on together. You would switch it on/off by turning the HIs on/off.......hope that makes sense lol

Pictures are better than words, check out 992Door's pic he posted on page 2, post #21
That would be the cutoff line. A lot of guys are just sticking HID bulbs in stock housing. This is wrong because the stock housings are designed for halogen bulbs, not HID. You'll get scattered light everywhere, creating that annoying blinding effect. True HIDs[Projector or HID reflector] will give you that nice cutoff line, so you wont be blinding everyone off the road.

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ooo, well i dont have Drl's. mines a 95.. but im starting to get some of this hid stuff, i was always like oblivious to this stuff..

HaKs310

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is a 95 also. So pretty much when you turn your Hi beams on you will instead have your Lows and His on. And when you turn them off, you will have just have your Lows on.

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oo ok.. so when you turn your lights on normal it becomes LO, and when you turn on your Hi beams it both lo and hi??? i hope im right, i just rephrased what u said... ahha wow i feel like a dumbsh*t.. lol.. but yea. so u suggest i ditch my old lights and get these TYC ones? or a different set?? thanks..

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes that is what he is saying. I love mine alot better than stock you pay for them but i think they are worth it

HaKs310

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, thats how 4Hi works.

I will try to get a couple of pics tonight and post them up so you can decide for yourself. I wanted HIDs but didnt want to just stick a HID kit off of ebay in aftermarket housings, would of been cheaper but I don't like half ass-ing stuff. If I had the money I would have done projectors, but thats a $600 project. So these were the logical choice. You get true HIDs with the nice cutoff line, ten times better than a ebay kit and way cheaper than true projector HIDs.

amstyle

Reaction score
I made the mistake of buying those cheap 70 dollar Ebay jobs. They don't fit and they're stripped. Those self contained HIDs look awesome. Do they come in a projector?

Sport99

Reaction score
Unless you're purchasing a projector that was specifically designed for HID's, I wouldn't bother with the HID/Projector setup. Its a common myth that projectors can serve a dual purpose and be fitted with both halogen and HID bulbs.

HID projectors are specifically designed to emit light differently, and have different cuts in the lense. This creates a much better cut off without the hot spots you get when using an aftermarket HID with TYC or other generic brand bulbs. It also doesn't blind on coming drivers as much.

I've been keeping an eye out for some S2000/TSX/E class/Escalade projector bowls. Once I find a set at a decent price, I'll try my hand at doing a retro fit of the projectors into some glass housing headlights...

On another note, has anyone tried those LED parking/signal lights on ebay? They're expensive but they seem like they might be pretty nice units...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994-1995-1996-1997-1998-TAHOE-LED-SIGNAL-BUMPER-LIGHTS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem310120000157QQitemZ310120000157QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

HaKs310

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was actually thinking of getting those, but not off of ebay, I'd be scared of them fogging up or an LED somehow going out or something. Here are the ones made IPCW:
http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts.aspx?category|category_root|-26=Lighting&partfamilyid=6234

TwinTurbo has them on his Tahoe, they look nice.

I am now leaning more to just getting these LED bulbs from v-leds:
V-LEDs Color Changing Turn Signals

Check out the video at the bottom of the page. I already have a clear parking/signal housing. they should look sweet with my HIDs

Sport99

Reaction score
Those LED signals on styling trucks look very nice. My only concern would be that there aren't enough LEDs to make it as bright. The ones on eBay seem to have more LEDs, which would be brighter at night providing the company uses decent quality leds...

Stylin Truck LED signals
dynamicimage.ashx

eBay LED SIGNALS
blks-c1088led-ch.jpg

Slammed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no they dont they have the same amount of leds it just reflections