Got a BS ticket for Taillights blacked out - Need Help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slant911

Reaction score
My 07' Denali has blacked out tail lights and headlights,etc.... and I'm driving home minding my own business when a cop pulls me over and starts yelling at me about how he can't see my brakelights and that I am going to cause an accident. Anyway, long story short he gives me a ticket for it and tells me I have to remove them....So...

Does anyone have a stock set of tail lights I can borrow or buy inexpensively to make this ticket go away?

My ones now have a hard black cover glued to the stock lens (at least that is what it looks like to me when I took them off.

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sucks, I got a Blackedout Taillight ticket back in January and had to pay $200 to get out of it, and he ussed the same BS excuse your cop used.
Cops these days, have nothing better to than done bug over BS.:nonod:

slant911

Reaction score
Nope got the ticket a couple days ago.

The cop (aka A-hole) told me that if I fix them and bring a picture or have an officer verify that they are changed that the ticket would go away.

slant911

Reaction score
Five.Three, Can we talk about your pair you will have? Either purchase or borrow?

Thanks.

ibobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dam...that cop was pretty picky but it is a safety issue. Most usually just give you a warning to remove them. Blacked-out lights(or light covers) will not pass a vehicle inspection. And didn't a cop somewhere just hit and kill a kid on a bike? Maybe they just got orders to inforce that law.

One suggestion would be to add brighter bulbs if you black out your lights.

Texasguy

Reaction score
Arlington, TX (Home of the Tahoe factory)
Not to stir the pot here, but I was behind another Tahoe the other day that had blacked out tail lights and they were definitely much dimmer than stock. If they are dangerously hard to see is subjective, but I personally think blacking out such an important indicator to other drivers in the name of style is selfish and irresponsible.

sarahw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to stir the pot here, but I was behind another Tahoe the other day that had blacked out tail lights and they were definitely much dimmer than stock. If they are dangerously hard to see is subjective, but I personally think blacking out such an important indicator to other drivers in the name of style is selfish and irresponsible.

I totally agree. Those laws were established FOR A REASON.

joetm

Reaction score
mine are blacked out no trouble yet ... gives the car a great look ... i just used the night shades spray i dont have covers

I do have to agree though even tho mine are just smoked not black black it is much dimmer then stock

and if you ever get rear ended it will most likely be on you bc the ins company will say the same thing

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a fan of the "blacked-out" look, I agree that it is definitely dangerous. Why is it that the officer is the a-hole? Aren't you the a-hole who blacked out your tail lights when you know very well it's illegal? Yet you did it anyway knowing you are breaking the law and endangering other drivers? But the cop who pulled you over is the a-hole?

I'm no saint either. I have tinted front windows which are illegal in my state. I know damn well it's wrong. If I get a ticket for it though I sure as hell am not going to blame someone who's doing his job. I'm the a-hole, not him. It's dangerous and illegal for a reason. I've almost gotten into several accidents at night due to them.

Man up and don't blame someone else.

BTW, instead of tinting my tails, I'm looking into these instead. The lens is clear which allows the red LED's to display at full brightness.

LEDT-311CB_big.jpg

mgyver1

Reaction score
BTW, instead of tinting my tails, I'm looking into these instead. The lens is clear which allows the red LED's to display at full brightness.

LEDT-311CB_big.jpg

I like those although it needs a red reflector on the side and rear, although it doesn't necessarily need to be on the taillights. Many vehicles have the reflector on the bumper or somewhere else. You just have to check DOT standards to find out the size and height requirements.

dknappia

Reaction score
I ave these IPCW on mine, called bermuda black, and they have the required reflectors. Waiting for the 3rd brake light to come in...can't wait...

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As dknappia said, it does have both reflectors. The side reflector is a long strip which runs along the side. You can see it at the top of that photo.

dknappia, can you post pictures of yours installed?

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you say they will accept a picture of the correction? Photoshop red onto the lenses????

GIXXER

Reaction score
Check the written law.

I live in Canada and recieved a ticket for the same violation (except it was a Cavalier with GTO blackout covers). However, the Vehicle Equipment Act states that the lights on the rear of a car "must emit a red light" and nothing about what distance they need to illuminate an object or be visible.

So, check the law before doing anything!!!

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No need to check. It is national law. US DOT (dept of transportation) sets such rules for brightness, number of required reflectors etc. DOT covers all sorts of vehicular standards.

This is why you see aftermarket parts labeled with such things as "for offroad/novelty use only". Most manufacturers dont have the cash to spend on getting parts DOT certified.

As such, you can get fines for having parts such as aftermarket lights which are not DOT approved and dont have the stamped logo. Additionally, modifying an OEM part to deviate from DOT standards is illegal as well.

chevyhoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
simple solution, buy a 30 dollar light bar made for trucks, and install it you cant see in enless its on... i tinted my tails and i noticed that they were really black but never got in trouble, but i was getting BITCHED at by everyone at my school around town and my parents... so i instaled the light bar and i havent had a problem.. they make them in clear color and they look pretty bad ass... but as for the cops some of them can be ass holes but they are just doing their jobs and i respect them totally... i have talked to numerous depuitys and such sorts since i did it and they said they wouldent give anyone a ticket for tinted tails and if some one did then just tell them it is removeable and it will be gone today... i agree it looks sooo good on the new hoes... it also helps if you can get ahold of an esky third brake light from a collision center they sold me one for 100 bucks and i tinted that you can see through it perfectly!! all i kno is respect gets you respect and thats how i live

DwDrummer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have my tail lights tinted on my Silverado but I got a line of fire LED brake light that install between the tail gate and bumper and is VERY bright. Might try one of those for future reference if you plan to keep running those smoked tail lights. Another thing, I would remove those tail light covers and have your tail lights smoked. I've had both and personall think the tint directly on the tail lights lets more light shine through that the covers. Just something to think about!