Grounding Issue: Whine through speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scomo

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Tahoe, 5.3 LT with Bose.

The other day as I'm driving through town, a faint static noise comes through my speakers. As I drive along the sound appears to get louder. I notice that the pitch of the sound directly reflects the RPM of the engine (as I accelerate, the pitch of the sound gets higher.) I have had this problem in another vehicle, but never got around to fixing it. Has anyone else had this problem? I assume the noise I am hearing is due to a bad ground somewhere. Can anyone tell me where these stereos are grounded at?

I noticed that if I give the center console, directly below the stereo unit, a good bang the noise will stop. I plan on removing this center console piece first and having a look. Any other advice or input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Gordo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah I beleive its due to grounding but if your dash is anything like mine your not going to find any ground in the dash behind the radio.

scomo

Reaction score
Have you been under the center console? By that I mean the extention from the center console; the part that seperates the floorboard between the two front bucket seats.

If you already have and didn't find a ground wire, it will save me some time.

I appreciate it.
:thumbsup:

dye4metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah I beleive its due to grounding but if your dash is anything like mine your not going to find any ground in the dash behind the radio.

theres plenty of places to ground behind the dash... :umn:

i dont think that with a stock radio you would need to do any extra grounding. im gonna go with that probably the harness on the radio may be loose. the grounding through the stock harnesses are fine in these trucks.

just pull it out and assess the problem

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about for an aftermarket set up? I have a clicking sound usually that does the same thing and I just recently started getting the whine. Do you think its a harness problem or should I look for a better ground? Thanks for the help!

Tahoe7689

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the exact same whine happen but its with my onstar speaker over my head, has any one had the same problem, how would I fix it?

dye4metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
easiest fix i could see would be going onto the12volt.com and looking up you truck and finding out which wire on the harness is the ground and splice into it and then run a wire to a ground location with a simple ring terminal.

you could try to clean you battery posts too** and make sure everything is tight.

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always run an aftermarket HU POS and NEG directly to the battery. Reduces noise from the source right from the get go.

OP you might just have a loose connection somewhere Could be the amps ground also.

golden

Reaction score
This sounds like it might be what my issue is. I have an '03 Tahoe with the Bose (No Onstar) and used the Metra GMOS-04 interface with a Kenwood DNX8120. Im on my third Metra Interface as the other smoldered. Anyhow - the static and whine coming from the speakers as I accelerate make me wanna bash the radio out. Its loud and only ever ceases when Im running one specific speed and not steeping off and on the accelerator.

Does anyone think that if I just took the ground wire and went directly to the battery to ground it I would solve this issue? Would I have to run the power wire to the positive as well?

djxristos88

Reaction score
tint can 100% effect this problem there is metal in the tint that can cause interference!!! it dosnt always cause a problem when you tint your car but it is deff possible!

captainboots069

Reaction score
2007 trailblazer speaker squeal

I have a 2004 Tahoe, 5.3 LT with Bose.

Got same going on in my trailblazer.....pass. side dash speaker. It will usaully be triggered by closing the pass. Side rear door after thowing my lunch box in the back. Sometimes will go away when some bigger bumps are hit or is gone by the time i start my vehicle again the next day... its only that one speaker. You ever track done the problem or have new intel. Thanks