Hail Damage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JAGastrock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, due to the fact that I am not sure I can hold my temper in for much longer, Im going to make this post short and sweet. 6:30 am, loud noise, golf ball sized hail, Tahoe in driveway....get the picture? What does one do? Have the dents popped out? Replace the hood and the roof? Anyone here in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex that is good at fixing this kind of stuff???

JAGastrock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think your worst nightmare would have been being around me when it happened...2 dogs got thrown across the room, and I had the whole family outside in the golf ball sized hail attempting to cover up my car.....

tast101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

beach109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dry ice is not a solution, just a trick that can sometimes be used for some damage--not a typical practice, just something that works when it works. Takes a while, and doesn't leave a 100% perfect result a lot of the time, so people play with that usually if they have one big dent...and not 15 of them all over.

If the dents aren't bad, and if there aren't 1000,etc., a paintless dent removal service might be able to do it--all depending, again, on the location, if they're near/on seams and folds in the sheetmetal, etc.

For pieces that can't be "un-dented", panel replacement is the next step.

As odd as it may sound...quite often there will be brand new vehicles straight off dealer lots (almost always from the southwest) that are written off/totaled after hail damage causing a load of small dents. Essentially, rather than pay to replace panels and all the time & aggravation of removing them, insurance will just write them off.

NOT that it's something that would also happen after damage in your driveway (that should be fixed using one of the methods discussed, after someone decides/pays), but it does happen.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had "paintless dent repair" done to two SUVs four years ago instead of replacing the roofs and you couldn't see any evidence of the damage. I had my doubts but it lasted 2+ years and then sold them. It was enuf cheaper than replacing that the insurance waived the deductible. :cool2:

JAGastrock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are quite a few dents. I am thinking they will probably have to replace the hood and the roof. There are a few in the front quarter panels but I think they can be popped out.

Nerk

Reaction score
My wife has a 4Runner that had pretty serious hail damage to the roof and hood and tops of the front quarter panels. Had a paintless dent removal guy do the hood, quarter panels, and everything from the moonroof forward on the top. It came out great and we've had it four years - can't see that there was ever any hail damage to it unless you climb up and look between the luggage rack rails at the stuff that wasn't removed (can't see that stuff without climbing up and looking).

If you do something like that, make sure you tell your insurance company and take before and after photos. In the event you ever get additional hail damage and make an insurance claim, you'll need to be able to prove that you had the previous damage repaired. Otherwise, they'll think you're trying to recover for old damage (a felony in most states).

JAGastrock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What would you do?

So, it goes into the shop tomorrow morning. If it comes out of the shop, and there is still some slight evidence of hail damage on there, what would yall do? I am an unusually demanding and nit-picky person....I am debating whether I should just live with it, or trade it in and get another Tahoe. Am I absolutely out of my mind?

Nerk

Reaction score
If there's any evidence of the hail damage after it comes out of the shop, it ought to stay in the shop. Make them fix it right.

JAGastrock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea. What worries me is that there are a few places with dents that are small enough for me (but no normal people) to notice. So small that I dont know if they can be popped out. Those had better not be there when I get it back.......

Nerk

Reaction score
I just picked up my '08 last Thursday night. Friday morning, my secretary was driving it (she picked me up from a meeting) and, while turning a corner on the ice, lost control and crashed into a parked car. Not much damage, really, but is going to need a new bumper, new driver's side headlight and repair/repaint of the driver's front quarter panel. Mine is going into the shop tomorrow too. I talked to the manager of the dealership's shop and he's assured me I can get it back by mid-week.

So, I'm a little worried about the repairs also, but I absolutely hate giving it up for a few days right after I take delivery.

Not as bad as hail damage, I know, but I feel your frustration.

JAGastrock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh daaaaang, let me know how that goes. If they dont do a good job let me know, Im REALLY REALLY mean, and Ill make sure they do it right. :). And as horrid as it is that your Hoe got messed up, how is your poor secretary's mental state?

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, it goes into the shop tomorrow morning. If it comes out of the shop, and there is still some slight evidence of hail damage on there, what would yall do? I am an unusually demanding and nit-picky person....I am debating whether I should just live with it, or trade it in and get another Tahoe. Am I absolutely out of my mind?

I don't think you're out of your mind. One of the reasons I traded my 2000 Z71 was because of a paint job. I hit a brick mailbox when I was trying to grab something out of the back seat very late one night. Messed up the front end pretty bad (replaced the bumper, grille, got pretty big dent taken out of hood, etc), and everybody thought it looked fine when it was done, but every time I looked at it I thought the paint didn't match or you could see the dent or what not.

When they introduced the employee discount I was sold on a new one. I like to say it was just the great deal that sold me on it, but I didn't quite feel the same about the Z after I messed it up :crazy: .

Nerk

Reaction score
Heh, she's okay. It wasn't her fault; it really was slick. Bad thing is that the other car got REALLY messed up. The Hoe just hit on the front driver's corner, but the other car took it all the way down the side - from the passenger rear, both doors, broke off the rear view mirror, dented and scratched the right front quarter panel and then flattened the front tire. I felt really bad for them. Weird thing is, I left a business card (very securely attached so it wouldn't blow away, etc.) and haven't heard from anyone.

JAGastrock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea. I wouldnt feel so wierd about considering getting rid of this one, if I didnt just buy it 4 months ago. Of course my family thinks I am a horrible person for making them all go out there in golf ball sized hail and assist in covering up the car, but what can I say, Im REALLY high maintenance heh.

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heh, she's okay. It wasn't her fault; it really was slick. Bad thing is that the other car got REALLY messed up. The Hoe just hit on the front driver's corner, but the other car took it all the way down the side - from the passenger rear, both doors, broke off the rear view mirror, dented and scratched the right front quarter panel and then flattened the front tire. I felt really bad for them. Weird thing is, I left a business card (very securely attached so it wouldn't blow away, etc.) and haven't heard from anyone.

Maybe they're out of town :smilielol: . Nice thing to come back to!

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea. I wouldnt feel so wierd about considering getting rid of this one, if I didnt just buy it 4 months ago. Of course my family thinks I am a horrible person for making them all go out there in golf ball sized hail and assist in covering up the car, but what can I say, Im REALLY high maintenance heh.

Lol, I'd do anything to save one of my trucks.

JAGastrock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeea, the guy at the body shop that I dealt with on my old car was like "Let me guess, when you come to get your car you will bring a flashlight and stick red dots. You will shine the flashlight on the car and find EVERY imperfection, and stick a red dot on the area, and then send the car back in again....right??" and I was like "You know I will!!!" He has dealt with me a few times, so at least he knows how anal I am and will likely watch out for me.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score

i have hit tons of ice in mine latly not a slip, even turning, the traction active pops up but i dont slide, you guys must have been flyin. :confused2: