Attempting AC Repair/Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xxrebelliousxx

Reaction score
First off, I am new to the community and this is my first post.

I have done a lot of repair on all kinds of vehicles but have never attempted repairing an AC, which is why I am wondering whether it is something a newbie can do or should I leave it to the professionals. The first estimate was $2100.

All of the the R134 has been released into the atmosphere (sorry tree huggers), I didn't do it on purpose... The high pressure sensor on the compressor shot out like a bullet, releasing all of the refrigerant into the air.

With that being said, the system is no longer under pressure and can be worked on without hazard. I also cut to the belt to the compressor due to the fact that it was locked up.

Here come the questions...

Where can I find out exactly what compressor is needed to replace the current one? Can I find this using the VIN?

When searching on some of the parts websites, it mentions 1st and 2nd design, which one is which.

I did find metal fragments in the orifice tube which means I should replace the compressor, orifice tube, accumulator, condenser, rear expansion valve and flush the system... Is there anything else?

Would you or have you done it? Is it worth it?

Rd05lly

Reaction score
Take it some where after you put it back together. So it can be pump down to check for leaks and will not work right if you dont get the air out.