hard to start when warm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donny

Reaction score
hey guys had a question for you, i have a 98 yukon 5.7 4x4. first thing in the morning it will turn over fine and start right up, but after the motor has reached normal operating temp when you turn it off and try to restart it befor it cools it hesitates before it turns over kinda like a low battery. iv replaced the battery with a name brand 800 cold cranking amp battery. newer alt. took the starter down to the part store to have it checked and it passed there test.... checked the connections at the battery terminals, starter, grounds. nothing seems to help. is this a sign of a week starter? my first baby is due in less than a month and i would like to figure this out before it leaves us stranded any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

donny

Reaction score
i also should add it has 124,xxx miles.recently had new intake gaskets installed, and hasn't thrown any codes since. i dont know if they could have anything to do with each other but the problem started a few weeks after having the intake gasket replaced. seems like its a electrical problem being that it only has trouble turning over after its warmed up. it almost sounds like the timings is a little advanced but from what i understand its non adjustable...im lost! any help or ideas would be great

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be a tooth off on timing, but IIRC that should throw a code. Could be a bad FPR......

donny

Reaction score
if it was a tooth off would it only cause problems when it was at operating temp? the more i hear it the more i suspect this to be the problem. i suppose its possible that i dident notice the problem when i picked it up from the shop to have the intake gaskets replaced. the shop i took it to was kinda sad and after all i went through with them i wouldent take my lawn mower back to them. i will do more research on the fpr before i try to re stab the distributor. thank you for your ideas

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who knows, have them throw a Tech2 on it and see what it is at.

largewon62

Reaction score
I had the same problem a few weeks ago. I installed a new timing chain new alt., did the "Big 3" cable upgrade....that helped, but still had the slow start. Installed a new starter and all was fine. My 97 Yukon has 155,000 miles, at 124k, it is time for a new starter. I bought my starter from Advance Auto online and used an online coupon for instore pick up and saved 50 off of 150 !!!