HELP! 99 Tahoe Shuts Off Electrical Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gutsco37

Reaction score
I'll be driving down the road and the vehicle shuts off or stutters and almost shuts off. I also lose all electrical power in the vehicle while this is occuring. Its almost like somebody is shuttting a light switch on and off.

If the vehicle stalls, I am able to restart the car the issue goes away, and eventually comes back randomly...

I've checked the terminals and they look good... I've read that these vehicles are prone to bad ignition switches... Could this be the problem? Or is there some kind of relay I should be looking for?

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Tahoe Forum. Might get more answers in the section for older Tahoes.

MikeyG79

Reaction score
had the exact same thing happen to my '99 and all it was were loose battery cables.

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had it happen in another car, not my tahoe, but it ended up being that the ground to the car itself (not the battery ground, the chassis ground) was bad. mine eventually quit starting until i had the ground completely replaced.

gutsco37

Reaction score
A closer inspection today revealed that a ground wire is totally rotted off! The ground is in the lower left hand side of the firewall/engine compartment area. It is a braided wire. It actually looks like there is 2 of them. What exactly do these ground? Could this be my problem?

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually this type of ground strap is to ensure that all of the metal in the vehicle is at the same ground level. That way lites, ECM, etc just need to grounded to the body and don't have to have a ground wire all the way to the battery. Bad grounds are a tough nut to crack as can cause some strange problems like your dome lite comes on when you hit the brakes.

gutsco37

Reaction score
Unfortunately replacing this faulty ground did not fix my problem? Any ideas what to try next? It shut off again yesterday (lost all power as it was shutting on and off)

gutsco37

Reaction score
Its all happens at the same time. I would describe it as someone shutting a light switch on and off rapidly. Engine and ALL electric die and come back, die and come back. Sometimes it stalls the engine, and then I can pull over and restart. However when I restart after this occurs I would describe the shifting as clunky in the transmission like the ECM got messed up during the power cycles. After I shut off the vehicle for about 5 to 10 mins and restart it this corrects itself.

DJTricky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had the exact same thing happen to my '99 and all it was were loose battery cables.

this also happened to mine it was after hot import nights(thay have you disconnect the negative bat. cable) and i just put it back on and forgot to tighten it down

gutsco37

Reaction score
I actually checked this out, took the terminal off and screwed it back on. Didnt see any signs of corrosion. However, someone told me there is a fusible link in the positive connector than can separate from time to time if it has opened up in the past? Any truth to this? Maybe I need to cut the end off and put a new one on?

aquaholic

Reaction score
burnt contacts in ignition switch. grab one from a junk yard and try it.