Help ! gas gauge acking up !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

onenutztoy

Reaction score
my 2001 tahoe has about 95k miles on it and recently the gas gauge keeps on fluctuating. message center also says low fuel even though there is fuel in the tank.

anybody has any idea what causes this ?

thanks Jeff

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
The only test i would say is to get underneath your truck and look for the fuel pump connector. Unplug it, blow into it, and reconnect. What this will do is help to get, if any, corrosion out of the connector.

HTH

Jesters.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have this problem as well. Same year but I have 151XXX miles on mine.

Gilby5245

Reaction score
Gas Gauge Problem "FIX"

Jeff,
I have had the same problem. The fix is to replace the fuel pump in the gas tank. It has a fuel gauge sending unit built in to the pump. I did it and it fixed the problem. I also want to let you know that in Virginia it was about $700 to fix it. But it is worth it due to the next problem being the pump will go bad and leave you stranded somewhere.
Jerry

my 2001 tahoe has about 95k miles on it and recently the gas gauge keeps on fluctuating. message center also says low fuel even though there is fuel in the tank.

anybody has any idea what causes this ?

thanks Jeff

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any chance it could be the stepper motor on the guage or would that not affect the low fuel light?

DarkTahoe00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would agree with Gilby5245 on that cuz mine did the same thing and it did go out and left me stranded 45 miles from home! I replaced the pump and BAM no more screwy gas gauge! I also would agree with withac as well the stepper motors are known for going bad in these trucks!

onenutztoy

Reaction score
mahalo ! everybody for the tips. so busy with work lately and my wife is looking for a shop to replace the fuel pump.... or should i do it myself ? is it easy to do?

mahalo again !,
jeff

DarkTahoe00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did mine it wasn't to bad at all! It also depend on your mechanical skills to! The biggest PITA is the fuel line going to the fuel pump! The EVAP can be as well but to not to bad as well!