Help How to remove paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07TahoeNC

Reaction score
I need help. Yesterday as I was driving around some moron had left green paint all over the highway. I was in traffic so I did not see it before it was too late to avoid it. I am assuming that it was some type of latex paint that fell off of someones truck. Thanks to the moron that left it there I now have green paint all over the passenger side of my tahoe. It is in the fenderwells pretty heavily, all over my new tires, and specks of it are all over the doors and the rear of the truck. I spent several hours yesterday afternoon scrubbing it off, but it got dark and I still have lots of paint to get off. Does anyone have any suggestions on an easier way to remove than scrubbing with one of the sponges with the mesh used for getting bugs off? Is there any type of chemical I can use that will not damage the finish of my truck? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Tahoe07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed a fine mist, left by overspray, by claybarring vehicle. If you have larger "spots" it may not work.

I removed wheel well area paint, ran over new centerline, using a putty knife. I attacked each spot one at a time. What a pain but I didn't scratch up the well that way.

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get some basecoat reducer, from a body shop or supply house for automotive paints. Use a very soft rag. Wipe it softly as if it were a hemmoroid, and you should see some results. Do not stay in one area too long as it may affect the clearcoat. You can go back to that area later after working on a different panel.. Afterwards wash vehicle then wax area affected. PM me if that doesnt help. I have other solutions that are more aggressive.

rockrawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get some basecoat reducer, from a body shop or supply house for automotive paints. Use a very soft rag. Wipe it softly as if it were a hemmoroid, and you should see some results. Do not stay in one area too long as it may affect the clearcoat. You can go back to that area later after working on a different panel.. Afterwards wash vehicle then wax area affected. PM me if that doesnt help. I have other solutions that are more aggressive.

A hemmoroid huh, had a lot of experience with that!:lol:

That sucks on the paint problem, hope the basecoat reducer works. I would be irrate if my wife came home with paint all over the Yukon!:mad3:

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove through a puddle of yellow paint about a week after I got my tahoe.
If I ever find out who dumped out the paint into the road I will castrate him.
Anyway, fortunately I had a fresh wax job on my tahoe, It made getting all the paint off possible without damaging my finish. I used some detailer and a soft cloth and scrubbed.
Lesson: Always make sure you wax/treat your finish often enough.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got some paint transfer off of my car using rubbing alcohol. Make sure to wax afterward no matter what you use!

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might try some Goof Off. Test in an inconspicuous are. It's designed to remove latex paint splatters.

PatrykKoul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't use goof off. It's almost like acetone, it'll eat your clear coat off your paint. I used it once to get a sticker off my window a few years back. It ran down the side of my car and left drip marks that I couldn't get rid of. If it's latex it should just peel off really easy. I used latex paint on the inside of my house lately, and when it dried on the paint can and inside the paint tray, it would peel right off in one piece.

07TahoeNC

Reaction score
I appreciate all of the suggestions. After lots of consideration I decided removing the paint was more that I wanted to handle. There was so much that it would have taken me days to remove. I ended up calling a local detail shop shop yesterday and they removed all of it. When I went to pick it up last night I could not believe the results. It looked better than the day I bought it. After removing the paint they detailed my tahoe and it looks awesome. It was well worth the money to have a professional tackle this job.

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much, if you don't mind me asking? cuase I got some road tar on my car.

07TahoeNC

Reaction score
Believe it or not they only charged me $150. I thought this was a deal because I would have expected to pay that much just for a detail, nevermind removing all of the paint.

Richard Hoblitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In hopes this helps some of you in the future. Never use anything on base coat clear coat paint other than wax and grease remover or enamel reducer. And after you use any of these you must clean it with soap and water and rewax that area. It is very easy to damage the clear coat and the cost will amaze you. I retired ten years ago and then we charged 5 to 6 K to paint a car. If in doubt take it to a body shop. :thumbsup: