Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Completely Semi-Gloss Black

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Gloss Black w/Chrome Lip

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Semi-Gloss Black w/Chrome Lip

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FadedSS

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 08 Black Yukon and am planning on getting my 24” DUB dirty dog 6 wheels powdercoated this week. I can’t decide whether to get them completely powder coated black or semi-gloss black and whether or not to leave the lip chrome. What do you think? Please Vote!

dirtydog6.jpg

Last edited:

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, I like them all black. I wouldnt leave any chrome on it but it depends on the look you are going for.

Another option... gloss black lip with matte black center.

FadedSS

Reaction score
Personally, I like them all black. I wouldnt leave any chrome on it but it depends on the look you are going for.

Another option... gloss black lip with matte black center.

i agree, do you have any pics of yours? are yours flat, semi, or gloss black?

never thought of doing gloss black lip with mette black center...

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i agree, do you have any pics of yours? are yours flat, semi, or gloss black?

never thought of doing gloss black lip with mette black center...

Mine are "matte" which is flat. You wont notice much difference at all between Gloss and Semi-gloss. Does you powdercoater have sample panels for you to see?

Here are some pics of Gloss black lip w/ Matte black centers. This is "jojax"s Yukon... he hasnt posted here in awhile... 24's w/ Eibach drop...

a.jpg

b.jpg

d.jpg

yukon1.jpg

Last edited:

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to add... Not sure if you're planning to "black out" your truck. If so, what kind of black were you planning for the grill and stuff? If gloss, maybe go with all gloss on the wheels. If matte/flat, would be cool to have some on the wheels.

I did my grill, emblems, badges in satin black (same as matte, flat, etc...) so I wanted some on the wheels. Some people want everything shiney so if thats the case, just go w/ gloss on everything... :)

FadedSS

Reaction score
Great point! I am planning on getting the gloss black denali grill and getting the tails/3rd brake light painted as well. All windows except windshield are tinted 5%.
Gloss black is probably my best bet on the powdercoating...

By the way, those gloss/matte wheels look great!

My powdercoater said he can basically do whatever I want in regards to the shade of black...

MDTAHOE1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I vote all chrome but thats is obiviously not an option. My second choice would be gloss black and chrome lip.

1stimeyukon

Reaction score
hey 63lac is that your 'konxl? it looks sick with the front end blacked out how did you go about that?

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suggst you leave the lip chrome no matter the color you powdercoat it. Chrome lips just look better than solid color wheels!
If you had KMC Rockstars or XD wheels then I would say you get it all one color since thoose wheels dont have lips!

DwDrummer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are your wheels cast aluminum with a chrome finish? I was gonna get my boss 330 wheels all powder coated black and the guy doing the powder coating told me that unless they are billet wheels that they will not hold up during the PC process and would come apart sometime down the road. Just wanted to give you a heads up!

FadedSS

Reaction score
Are your wheels cast aluminum with a chrome finish? I was gonna get my boss 330 wheels all powder coated black and the guy doing the powder coating told me that unless they are billet wheels that they will not hold up during the PC process and would come apart sometime down the road. Just wanted to give you a heads up!

i have heard that as well and am planning on discussing this with the powdercoater on friday.

DwDrummer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, let me know what he says cause I would still love to get mine PC if it will not hurt them!:D

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, that's not entirely true...

Billet wheels are machined from a solid block of aluminum. Cast wheels are molten alloy poured into a
form and cured into a final shape. During the casting process, micro "gas bubbles" get trapped in the
wheel during the pouring/curing.

What can then happen during the powdercoating process is that the gas is heated and passes outwards
through the metal to evaporate. This is called "out-gassing". If that happens while the powder is baking
it can lead to surface irregularities.

To combat this, most PC'rs do an "out-gassing" process on cast parts before applying powder. (They bake
the parts twice w/o any powder on as part of the prep).

I've had quite a few cast parts done without issue over the years. There are also many people that
powdercoat their stock wheels which are all cast.

The only thing I can't vouch for first hand is a cast part with chrome on it. Chrome is a plating layerd
on top of the part. So if out-gassing occurs, I can possibly see a potential where it may mess up the
chrome and subsequently the powder.

This may not be much of an issue though because I know many people and powdercoaters who coat
over chrome all the time, including chrome wheels.

9 out of 10 chrome wheels/parts are cast (if aluminum alloy). Generally most manufacturers do not
chrome over billet because it does not hold very well and eventually always "flakes" off. Billet
wheels/parts are generally "polished" because of this.

;)

DwDrummer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with another powder coater close to me and he told me that I would fine PC my wheels because they only heat them up to 325-350 degrees! Gosh I wanna get my wheels done so bad!

USMC1102

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it would look better all black. I've just never been a fan of the black with chrome lip. They're good looking wheels, so they'll look good either way.