Help with 2003 tahoe towing, anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shanezgirl

Reaction score
I own a 2003 tahoe that has a 5.7L and is tow prepared (whatever that means) I know I don't have a hitch...but what does that mean really?

I am looking to buy a 25.5 ft. deck boat and am wondering if I will be able to tow it? Or do I need to add things to my truck?

The boat weighs 4700 lbs.
the trailer weighs 2030 lbs.

I have lost my owner's manual (typical girl :ack: )

any help would be greatly appreciated. I just though I would check here before I call the dealer and they say I need to add a million dollars worth of **** to my truck...

thanks guys

B

Gatorbait

Reaction score
Might want to post this in the 2000-2006 forum. Oh and that year has the 5.3l, not the 5.7l. Before you do though you need to provide more information.
2wd or 4wd?
Which gear ratio (3.42, 3.73, 4.10) Makes a big difference.

6700lbs is quite a bit of weight for a Tahoe. Remember when they give you the tow rating it only includes the driver. Everything/everyone you put in the truck/boat takes away from the tow rating. You can pull more than it is rated for as the truck has plenty of power. Stopping is the issue. And also if you get in a wreck and are over the limits it is your fault. Good luck and hopefully it works out for you.

HitandRunDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 01 tahoe LT 2wd with the 5.3 and towing package. I'm 95% sure i'm running 3.42 gears as my max payload for towing is 5000 pounds, 6700 pounds sounds like way too much, downsize the boat or upsize your truck, i dont think any amount of mods could help you get that extra 1700 pounds unless you swapped gears, the trannies on these (4L60) are a bit weak....my first one died at around 60k

Call_me_Tom

Reaction score
Just about anything weighing more then 2000lbs will require a brake controller. Just something to keep in mind as it is going to add to the overall cost.

HitandRunDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just about anything weighing more then 2000lbs will require a brake controller. Just something to keep in mind as it is going to add to the overall cost.

If you have a tow package you should already be equipped with one...

05Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine came with the tow package and no brake controller. I have an aftermarket one below my steering wheel.

ya they just now added a brake controller as a option for the 09 hoes and this is the first year for it.

rings

Reaction score
I have an 03 z-71 and have hauled over 11k lbs w/ mine. I however DO NOT recomend it!! The truck can handle that kind of weight, but the tranny cannot. After hauling said load I had to replace my tranny at 83k. I have however hauled a 21 foot crownline close to 200 miles w/o a single problem!(This was with the new GM replacement tranny) I think I remember the boat and trailer being in the 6500-7000 lbs area(its my mother-in-laws). I would say if your not hauling it on a regular basis(everyday) then you should be fine. Just learn from my mistake though...If its too heavy it will cause the tranny to fail, and thats a COSTLY mistake!!