HID Foglight Idea, What do you think?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

khool750

Reaction score
I was searching the interwebz, and found something interesting. It seems as though everyone is saying that converting the stock Tahoe Foglights to HID will melt the housing. I found an OEM type replacement foglight assembly that is made out of a metal housing with a glass lense. At this website, http://www.ioffer.com/i/63809571 he has them listed at about 70 bucks. Not too bad for that, and claims they fit exact, and can be hooked to the stock foglight harness. The only thing is it has the fruity LED halo around it, which doesn't have to be hooked up or whatever. What I was thinking, is for 74 bucks, and it uses an H3 bulb, one could buy a set of these, go to http://www.ddmtuning.com/hidkihidbuhi.html, buy a set of slim ballast h3 HIDs, and make an HID foglight kit for under 200 bucks shipped. I looked at the PIAA 610's also pictured, they run for about 900-1100. The plus with the combo that I think would work is DDM has a lifetime warranty on their units, and I'm a long time user of PIAA and they just don't last that long for the price. It's just a thought. The Blinglight kit is a 3.5" foglight and the piaa is a 4" light. I think this would be an interesting step. I still haven't received my HID's for my lowbeams, but I'm really thinking of trying this out. I have to take a look at how the stock lights are mounted and how much I'd have to modify it to work. Well, if anyone has suggestions, corrections, or just want to comment, please do.

Attachments

• BL602_layout.jpeg
    BL602_layout.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 6
  • 610hid.gif
    610hid.gif
    16.8 KB · Views: 4

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha I already tried this out man!
I ordered an Autopia 2007 Tahoe fog light kit from Ebay becuase the seller claimed it was a direct plug and play to my Tahoe then went and ordered DDM Slim Ballast 5k HID H3 kit,
Well anyways the kit comes and I try puttin it on myself and its like IMPOSSIBLE, and its not that im not Tech. inclined cuz I really am! So I then took it by like 3 car audio shops and they all want $150 or higher to install it so I was just like screw this. I returned the fog lights and kept the HID kit, since HID kits have universal connectors I just plan of ordering a different bulb and putting it in the stock housing.
Plus H3 HID bulb are not what you think they are, they're are two types of H3 bulbs and the one in HID kits is the long one. I already made that mistake so I know. Go and order H3C HID bulbs and is i you still wanna try it, H3C HID bulbs are the small ones which look like the normal H3 bulbs you see which are tiny with one wire!

khool750

Reaction score
Hey, if you don't mind me asking, why is it impossible? What problems did you encounter? Would it be the mounting bracket? If you could just list all the road blocks you ran into, that would be great. I'm glad someone tried it, and I had no idea that the H3 =HID's were the long ones. Thanks.