HID Kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Redcorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always thought HID conversions were hundreds of dollars, my brother just bought a $70 kit from ebay for his wrx that the ballast plugs into the headlight harness then there's another wire coming off the ballast that the hid bulb connects to and then the bulb just clicks into your composite lens like any other.

They look pretty good and are not what daniel stern describes on his automotive lighting website. He hates HID kits because the arc is usually side to side and the halogen bulbs filament goes front to back. (the reflector and lens are designed for fornt to back. My brothers have the arc going front to back.

Any opinions on these? I see a gmt400 silverado going down my street every once in a while with HIDs and I keep meaning to wave him down and ask him about them but he's always hauling ass.

Is it truly plug and play like they descirbe? no wire cutting involved at all? My brother said he had to run a ground wire I think, something about japanese cars not having a ground in the headlight harness, the halogen bulbs ground to the chassis somehow.

What about the DRLs? I've pulled the "DRL" fuse out of the inside fuse box and my drls don't come on anymore, there's still the green drl light on the dash though. I think I read something somewhere saying that just pulling the fuse isnt good enough?

HaKs310

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure you are talking about the cheap chinese HID kits that you see all over ebay. I was planning to go that route but decided to read up on HIDs before I bought anything.

These kits will replace your halogen bulb with a HID bulb, so now you have a super bright bulb in a halogen housing. You'll get that intense brightness but the beam pattern is scattered like a halogen bulb because the housing is not meant for such a light source. This is what produces that annoying blinding glare.

What separate true HID lights from these cheap chinese kits are the use of projector headlights. This concentrates the beam of light to the floor and creates a cut-off line so you won't blind other drivers.

You can also go this route, which I am planning on going:
http://www.tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?t=12568

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
I dont know about the Chinese ones, but HIDGate on Ebay seems to be one place a lot of other people been getting theirs from.

John Redcorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought that since the arc goes front to back just like the filament of a halogen goes front to back they'd work with the same lens?

I'm not looking for that super-clear cutoff line for the light like projectors have, nor am I looking to do the work or pay the $$ involved to put projectors in.

But I was at the store the other night about to spend $30 something on Nighthawks (I have some in my grand prix and they're pretty good) but if I was going to spend $30 I was thinking why not $60 and get some HIDs.

My brother with the wrx says that a standard wrx has the same lenses/reflectors as the STI but the STI has HID. And I'm pretty sure the lincoln navigators come stock with non-projector HID, at least all of them I've seen.

HaKs310

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not looking for that super-clear cutoff line for the light like projectors have, nor am I looking to do the work or pay the $$ involved to put projectors in.

My brother with the wrx says that a standard wrx has the same lenses/reflectors as the STI but the STI has HID. And I'm pretty sure the lincoln navigators come stock with non-projector HID, at least all of them I've seen.

Ditto. Thats is why I'm lo0king into getting these, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...arms=tab=Watching&item=110322489993&viewitem=

Projector headlights will use D1S bulbs, and HID headlight reflectors will use D1R bulbs. So I'm guessing your brother is running a D1R kit since he has HID reflectors on his WRX.

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea ive met someone on cardomain a while ago and asked him wehre he got his hids.. he replied 70 bucks from ebay, he said no problems what so ever and hes had them for quite some time.. soo idk man ill give you the link to the guy if u want it.

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can also get them from just about any car audio shop. dont ever buy the cheap stuff tho. when its 30 bucks shipped, and it seems like your getting a steal.... well, you get what you pay for...

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A word of caution...........

In many states, HID’s are not legal unless they are in a projector housing. The reason is simple. It’s dangerous to blind the traffic coming towards you.

You can get away with it, on high beams. If you turn your low beams into high beams, you are asking for trouble. :Yawn:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A word of caution...........

In many states, HID’s are not legal unless they are in a projector housing. The reason is simple. It’s dangerous to blind the traffic coming towards you.

You can get away with it, on high beams. If you turn your low beams into high beams, you are asking for trouble. :Yawn:

Well yes and no. Hids are not legel in a Halagon reflector housing. Car companys and aftermarket companys make a Xenon Reflector housing, infact for uses them on the 02-06 navigator, still uses reflector housings on their town car, and the mustang gt, reflector housing was also used on early model Lexus, mercedes, bmw vehicles. Insted of using a standard xenon bulb and making the housing do all the work. They use a d1r bulb (R for reflector) and the bulb actully has a shield that causes a nice sharp cut off. Then the reflector is designed to spread the beam in a nice even wide array of light. I actully prefer Reflector HIDS to projector, thats just me.

The ebay ones linked by HaKS310 are completly dot approved and street legel becuase they have the HID reflector and D1R BULB, these will look better, and preform MUCH better than throwing hids in a stock reflector housing. ALso remember some projectors are not deisigned for HIDS. Just food for thought.

But a D1R bulb in a HID housing is just as good a a D1S bulb in a projector.
oem1.jpg

Slammed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well after my install I adjusted the beams just like it said in the direction but most people dont even bother thats why the blind people

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just threw some HIDS in my truck....2 yrs running strong and paid 120 for my kit.
Yes, I am blinding other drivers. But...never have been pulled over yet (knock on wood). But, I have alos never been honked, "waved at", or even flashed by other drivers.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have hids in my silverado's stock housing, Aimed them down and no issues. But I really with they made a nice set of projectors, or atleast some Legel Hid reflectors for the silverado.

John Redcorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I've got some front-end stuff that really should take precedence over ricing my headlights but...

Now my brother, who got me interested in HIDs is trying to get me interested in a projector since they don't make them for his car.

we've seen a few on ebay and I'm sure they're made for halogen bulbs because they don't say anything about hid but if these HID kits are for the purpose of putting HID where halogen is supposed to be I wonder how it would work to do one of these projector things. I guess I'd have to get the HID bulbs made for projectors like you all were talking about on page one. But these projectors are expecting a 9006 bulb both the way it puts out light and the way it snaps in to the holder.

both sides for $50
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

these look kinda cool but expensive
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-9...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
My tahoe's white with all the factory chrome though, not sure if those black ones would look so great on there.

Last edited:

HaKs310

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both of those aren't that true projectors, they are for lo0ks rather than function. Many guys are buying the first one listed and retrofitting a true projector into them. True projectors will run from $150+, that's not including the housing.

Last edited:

John Redcorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both of those aren't that true projectors, they are for lo0ks rather than function. Many guys are buying the first one listed and retrofitting a true projector into them. True projectors will run from $150+, that's not including the housing.

Ahh, reflectors I go then.

HaKs310

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, just go with a HID reflector and D1R BULB and you're set.