High Beams won't stay on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahoeInFC

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have done some searching out here, and perhaps I'm using the wrong search terms, but have not found an answer.
My truck is a 2006 Tahoe Z71, and we absolutely love this vehicle, but have seen a weird electrical anomaly.
Lately, the high-beam headlights will not stay on without holding the multi-switch lever (turn signal stalk) back. While holding, the high-beams work fine. Let go, and they go back to low beams.

What I have tried:
1) I pull the lever back, and I can hear the relay 'click' and the high beams activate, along with the indicator in the dash
2) I took apart the column and put in a new multi-function switch assembly. Brand new, but still has the same effect...must hold back to keep brights activated. Thought for sure this would fix it, but no dice.
3) Got into the relay/fuse box under the hood. Took a similar relay I knew was good and replaced the high-beam relay with it. No improvement. STILL required to hold the switch back to keep high beams on.

Guys, I'm running out of ideas here. If this problem has been solved, and I just missed it somewhere in the forums, please cut me some slack. I DID search...even if I might suck at it. :)

Any insight here?

Thanks in advance!

TahoeInFC

Reaction score
Oh. My. God.
This is certainly humbling, but problem is solved.
To be perfectly honest, I had no idea that pushing forward the stalk activates the brights. (In partial defense, I'm not the one who drives this vehicle regularly, so I've literally never used the brights)
So the popular phrase RTFM comes to mind, and the next time I certainly will read the manual.
Thanks for your help!