High pitched whine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigkix500

Reaction score
I had a alpine navigation installed in my 2012 Tahoe LT when the volume on the radio is low I can hear a whine sound come out when I hit the gas pedal. Anyone know what that means or how to fix it?

lowvolt

Reaction score
The whine you are hearing is commonly refered to as "engine noise". There are many potential causes, likewise many potential fixes. It is not uncommon at all, especially in a vehicle that has a factory amplified system. ie. Bose, Harmon Kardon, Infinity. I am going to assume you have factory bose. If thats the case, it maybe a little more difficult to resolve. First we need to know how the unit was installed and integrated into the bose. Chances are they just went speaker level in. Thus running a high level signal into a low level input on the amp. You can try to use a pair of RCAs and cut one end off and hook that to the speaker wires in the vehicle then just plug the other end into the output on the radio. This will run a low level signal to the amp. Also check the ground. This is very important. You need a good ground. Also bad spark plugs can cause engine noise, However I suspect if this was the culprit you would have noticed it with the stock unit.