Hit two elk: totaled Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajdemo76

Reaction score
image.jpg I hit two adult male elk about 30min north of Alamosa, CO Sunday night. There was an oncoming car with its brights on that was limiting my vision when I came apon the elk standing in my lane. They were maybe 40ft in front of me by the time I saw them. Going 65mph, I didn't get on the brakes in time and I hit them at full speed. One of them fell right into the engine and the other collapsed the passenger side front corner and wrapped around, bashing in the passenger door. The engine was pushed back and everything else in the engine compartment is destroyed. I'm lucky they didn't go through the windshield. They flew about 25ft off the side of the road instead.
As far as myself, I felt a quick jolt and that's it. No injuries, not even sore. The worst part of it was probably when the hood flew up while I was still moving. I had no idea where I was at.
Something worth mentioning, the airbags didn't deploy. Probably due to the mounting location of the sensor. Bumper is still intact.
I'll be buying another Tahoe and will probably be asking for suggestions on here about aftermarket bumpers and lights.

07burb

Reaction score
Wow that's crazy!!! Elk are big animals and it's a testament to the Tahoe that you walked away pretty much unscathed.

jeffjames

Reaction score
Dayam

Glad you're ok. I've hit a few deer but never elk. Worst was holes in radiator from the antlers. Nice tahoe too. Hope you can get another...