Hood Latch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevyrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i went to pop the hood on my tahoe to find i couldn't open it. The hood latch simply pulls all the way out with no resistance and will not ingage the latch under the hood. First question is, how do i fix this ? next, if i can't or need to take it to the shop is there another way to pop the latch on the hood? - thanks

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
see if the cable is just detached behind the kick panel, should be able to pull it and pop the hood if its back there, if its not, im not sure.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 99 burban had that issue, i would pull the lever and it would click but not pop up.

my fix was to have someone sit on the hood ( or how ever you can get someone to push on it) and then pull the lever.

or it may be backwards like my old 1995 mustang gt, that it would click but not open, and someone had to pull up on the hood while i pulled the latch, kinda trickey these latches.

those are just ways to get it open, i dont have an answer as to why it happens.

fyi, i dont own these anymore, i sold them both a long time ago. :cool:

chevyrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, i will try in the morning and see what happens. It's weird because it came out of no where, i have never had an issue at all with this before.

chevyrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't really know for sure what the problem was but either way it is fixed. The cable was not broken so it must have just gotten stuck, nothing a little oil wont fix. However I found out in about 5 seconds that if the hood doesn't pop open for what ever reason you can manually open from the outside without having to remove the grill or stick a screwdriver or something in there and fish around. You simply reach in behind the top of the grill and pull the lever out towards you, so now i have learned a useful lesson from all this.

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'll have to remember that one.

I used to own a 94 Eagle Vision (same as a Dodge Intrepid), and the hood release cable broke at the latch. The only way I could open it without damage was to take it to the dealer. The wouldn't tell me how they opened it, and they charged me $75 to install a new cable. I was glad I had that extended warranty, lol.

chevyrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea when it happened to me the first thing i thought was having to take it to the shop and have them charge me a ridiculous amount for something fairly simple. Anyways it's good to know.