How are Sony headunits?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

btrftw

Reaction score
are they that bad?

i just got this one and alot of people say that they are garbage.

product.jpg

Head unit

SONY CDX-GT620U 130$

what do you guys think?

TXST8tj

Reaction score
sony is a waste company wide, but their car audio is somehow worse than the rest of their stuff.

177mph

Reaction score
sony is a waste company wide, but their car audio is somehow worse than the rest of their stuff.

Wow - this is the first Ive heard that. Ive had nothing but great results from sony gear for almost 30 years. TV's, Stereos, car stereos, VCR's, DVD players. All top notch.

Now - you wanna talk crap - lets talk pioneer...

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am being told to try to stay away from the CD changers now. Apparently they aren't quite so robust and are the first things to go on these head units. What do you think of Kenwood? Not sure who is who in audio stuff and the quality.

Polecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it changes about every year. Kind of like TV's...one year Sony will have the newest and best technology, next year can be Clarion.
Usually Kenwood, Clarion, Alpine, Pioneer make some great HU's...just more to what features you prefer more.

TXST8tj

Reaction score
Wow - this is the first Ive heard that. Ive had nothing but great results from sony gear for almost 30 years. TV's, Stereos, car stereos, VCR's, DVD players. All top notch.

Now - you wanna talk crap - lets talk pioneer...

haha. it's fairly harsh, but sums up my feelings with that company.

between their whole 'rootkit' fiasco, poor build quality, and poor sound quality across the board, i have no need for them. i am also not a huge fan of proprietary devices/software/etc., which they have and have had a lot of. however, it is my prerogative not to buy that stuff so that is as big of an issue as i make it for myself. what i really don't like is they do all of that while having a higher price tag than they should charge. in my opinion, if you make a lower quality product, you price it accordingly. don't slip your low quality in with higher, and charge the same just because you have one of the biggest names in electronics.

on my less negative side with Sony, they do assemble a nice line of TVs, and they always have. they do not make their own LCD panels (samsung has been for a while), but their overall television product is pretty nice.
they also get kudos for developing Blue Ray technology. while it's not perfect, with the help of other companies, it is getting there. the fact that it caught on and was picked up by other companies, saves them from additional proprietary technology.

it's all personal opinion, but i haven't seen or heard a quality product from sony (other than TVs) since the early-mid 90s.

my dad used to be a big sony person. since my parent's first sony rack/component system stereo (which was actually quality old sony) and portable phone, they were on a string of sony TVs, VCRs, DVD players, surround receivers, speakers, etc. my dad is also one of the 1,349 people to own and use sony MiniDisc. in the earlier 2000s, after going through 3 sony surround receivers over a span of 2 years, he finally got the hint i was giving him, and he moved on to another brand.

as for Pioneer. i buy their headunits. that is about all they are good for, and those can be hit or miss. don't expect them to last too terribly long. their Pioneer Elite is nice, but i would skip over them everytime for another high quality brand.

Last edited:

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In anything car audio, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! theres a reason that companies make mulitple hu's that vary in cost. sonys are a good head unit IF your not looking to build an amazing system in your vehicle. As for pioneer, yes, you may get a bad hu, but it can happen with ANY radio. I've been doing car audio for almost 3 years, and yes, i am a dealer, so i go through many hu's, and prolly 1 in 10 of ANY brand will come in bad. theres a reason you get a warranty with things you buy. my friend bought an alpine that died in 6 months, I've had my alpine for over 3 years. its all hit or miss.
but like i said, it all depends on what your looking for your head unit to do.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
I'm going on 17 years in car audio, and have seen more Sony units go bad than anything else (aside from the cheap off brand crap). But lately, some of the stuff they've put in the past couple years have been a lot better and less problematic than from years past. Last year's x10 series and this year's x20 series models are actually pretty decent units. I've attended a lot of tech tours, meetings, etc, with many different manufacturers, and Pioneer has some great stuff. Eclipse and Alpine also have nice units.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never had problems with any Sony head unit until the one I currently own. I put three head units in my parents cars, one a in 2002 and it still works great. And that one was punished pretty good. It was in a 88 Bronco we used for hunting. Anyway. something went wrong with my flip up screen that i have now a few weeks after i got it but i sent it in and they fixed it for free. I have always sworn by Sony though. TVs, cd player, I even had the mini disk player for a while. Personal preference i guess. But i never have gotten the cheap stuff. I always get the best model they have. So you get what you pay for!! Oh and I have had my subs for a good five years and through two cars and they still hit like a mother!

06tahoez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jenna,

Are you thinking about replacing the headunit in the Tahoe? The Pioneer HUs are nice but the more fancier units tend to have NAV. Kenwood has some pretty slick stuff on the market. I've got Kenwood gear in all my rides and wouldn't change a thing. In fact, I'm thinking I might upgrade the Kenwood in my bimmer one of these days.

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah Justin has a Kenwood Excelon in his truck and loves it. I am looking at the Kenwood 812 at the moment. Justin is telling me to just get one with nav....we shall see! I really just want to have MP3 and DVD capability.

06tahoez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah Justin has a Kenwood Excelon in his truck and loves it. I am looking at the Kenwood 812 at the moment. Justin is telling me to just get one with nav....we shall see! I really just want to have MP3 and DVD capability.

check out the Kenwood Excelon DNX8120. It's one serious unit... I didn't think I needed Nav either. I think it's a guy thing :) but it's definitely nice to have..

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah that is the next one on my list as it is just like the one I liked but without the nav. Definitely nice looking units.