how hard is it to install one of these...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stargazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed Dixie horns on my VW. I installed it with a separate switch because they don't work well as a regular horn. It's not hard to do--especially since there's so much room in the Yukon's engine bay. It's just a matter of figuring out how to mount the horns.

Then you just wire it up to the relay with a switch and you're good to go. I used a toggle switch so that I wouldn't have to keep pressing the button while the tune played.

dixieairhorn.jpg

There was no room in the engine bay so I used cable ties to mount the horns. They held up well. I painted them black because i didn't want them to stand out through the grille.

hornswitch5.jpg

This is what it sounded like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrsSmvCEYYM

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice install. Thanks a bunch. Gunna order some then as at 40 bucks Im not out aton if it dont go right. Im thinking of mounting the compressor on that second battery tray . Then the horns someware in there too. :yesnod:

Stargazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing to consider is that you don't want the compressor too far away from the horns because I think there will be a longer delay for the sound to come out and the compressor will have to pump out more air--I could be wrong. The tubing that came with it pretty much limited where I could mount it.

joetm

Reaction score
I bought an oogah horn at pepboys for my 1969 deville and it took me about 10 minutes to install ...

drill pilot hole in engine bay spray glav to avoid rust then mount horn and connect using factory horn wiring.

If you need to run a new line there is a boot through the firewall right by the steering assembly big enough for a small wire

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
While we're on the subject, anyone know of any sites that sell used and refurbished train horns?