How to tighten up steering?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sammyd173

Reaction score
I have an '04 LT. The steering is unnervingly sloppy - I'm sawing at the wheel like Mr. T driving his van on 'A Team'!

Nothings broken, I just need to replace the bushings. I'm going to have the Chevy dealer do it (I'm a vendor so get a discount), I just want to make sure they get all the right parts.

What shall I tell them to replace, and do you think they can order NAPA parts?

sammyd173

Reaction score
Umm, I thought Chevy owned NAPA, I guess I'm wrong? And I only mentioned NAPA since I read somewhere else they were better than the Chevy parts for this application... please enlighten me I'm lost!!

05Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
might want to have the dealer check the steering the whole steering box might need to be replaced if it is really sloppy.

jey_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad alignment or even bad tires can also cause sloppy steering. When we got our alignment checked at 50k miles I think and it as pretty far out of spec. An alignment fixed the sloppiness.

sammyd173

Reaction score
Bad alignment or even bad tires can also cause sloppy steering. When we got our alignment checked at 50k miles I think and it as pretty far out of spec. An alignment fixed the sloppiness.

Good point, thanks!

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shake down the front end for any issues, definitely a good idea to get an alignment after replacing any worn out tie rods or anything. Also check your front sway bar links they coould be broken and thats why you have so much body roll.

Jimmy2000AF

Reaction score
Did you ever fix this issue? If so what was the cause? I am haveing the same issue with my 04, I have replaced everything but the powersteering pump and lines. Inner/outter tie rods, center link pitman and idler arms, and finally the gear box. still no fix.

swjones

Reaction score
The steering coupler mentioned would be where I would start. They are prone to failure and may be your quickest and easiest fix. An inspection of the front end and alignment is always a good peace of mind as well and will save your tire wear if that is the problem. If none of that solves the issue, then I would start looking at the steering box. I've had my steering coupler replaced and it makes a lot of difference. I think its getting time to maybe replace it again. I'm starting to hear a light "clunk" like before whaen I replaced it.